Angels paired off but I have no plans on moving them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catfish Lover

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 4 angels in a 55 and after having them a year they've paired off. I've seen eggs on 3 different occasions on leafs. I observed how the pair would guard the eggs and wouldn't let anyone near. So what I did was knock the eggs off the leaf, then everyone goes back to acting normal. I've done this 3 times now. Can I just keep destroying the eggs and keep the Angels together? Or will something go wrong between them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have 4 angels in a 55 and after having them a year they've paired off. I've seen eggs on 3 different occasions on leafs. I observed how the pair would guard the eggs and wouldn't let anyone near. So what I did was knock the eggs off the leaf, then everyone goes back to acting normal. I've done this 3 times now. Can I just keep destroying the eggs and keep the Angels together? Or will something go wrong between them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

At some point in time, you may miss the spawn and the fish will attack the others and possibly kill them. If you are willing to take that chance, keep doing what you are doing. If not, I would suggest you separate the pair from the others. You can use a divider to keep them in the same tank but then you have to think in terms of it not being a 55 but 2- 27 gal tanks so you stock accordingly. Breeding pairs of Angels are best kept by themselves. Less drama in the long run. (y)

Hope this helps (y)

At some point in time, you may miss the spawn and the fish will attack the others and possibly kill them. If you are willing to take that chance, keep doing what you are doing. If not, I would suggest you separate the pair from the others. You can use a divider to keep them in the same tank but then you have to think in terms of it not being a 55 but 2- 27 gal tanks so you stock accordingly. Breeding pairs of Angels are best kept by themselves. Less drama in the long run. (y)

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing for now. I have some cories a bristlenose pleco and a Bolivian ram in the tank with the Angels. The cories and Bolivian pretty much stay near the bottom at all times so the pleco would be the one that could get near the eggs and I know he can defend himself. I'm sure he's probably eaten some of the eggs at night.

Back
Top Bottom