Another Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all!

I am really paranoid, and I will ONLY ACCEPT REPLIES FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE OWNED ALL OF THESE FISH!!! I want to get these fish for my new 55 gallon fish tank:

1 Rainbow Shark
5 Australian Rainbowfish
6 Black Skirt Tetras
2 Angelfish

1.These are all compatible for each other, right?
2.With this many fish, how often would I have to do water changes with gravel vacuum?
3.How much water would I have to change?
I appreciate any answers to my questions.

Well i know enough about all these fish to give you an informative answer, but i havent ever owned a rainbow shark or australian rainbows. So i guess you dont want my help?

Do i have to have owned all of those fish? Because i have only owned angelfish, and few people have owned them all. I wont give you advice on angelfish i guess

Hmmm all of the valid and useful advice you will miss out on.

I hate to say it but you seem a tad.... Annoying?

Hope you find that few select people you seek out so...

But I'll answer the questions that I can:

With such fish I would suggest doing at least weekly 50% PWC (maybe even 2 50%s a week if the levels build) this way you will keep the water at a safe level.

Gravel vac is up-to you but I usually do it with every water change, a build up of waste is usually gonna cause a build up of toxins.

I know that Angels do get aggressive as they mature (like most cichlids) they also become territorial especially if it's a mating pair you have.

I've read that rainbow sharks can also get aggressive so maybe there will be clashes? That all depends on individual fish and no amount of experience can help with that.

Ok, you guys can tell me what you know about these fish, sorry. I just said that because I don't want to get these fish and find out one type of fish is aggressive to all the others because experience was not heeded. So, please, tell me what you know.

I know that there are accounts of skirt tetras being fin nippers, but many people dont agree with this. Im guessing that is just personal experience, so you will have to decide but i think they will be fine. Angels will be agressive toward eachother sometimes, but if you get them at the same time im sure you will be ok. They would be better if you got them when they are small, but its up to you. Angels have pretty large bioloads IMO

I recommend doing a 50% pwc every week.

Buy the angels young when they are silver dollar sized and at the same time to reduce aggression. They can be aggressive towards eachother when you buy two full grown ones, but you can lessen the aggression by adding two large at the same time. But I recommend getting the little ones.

Black skirt tetras should not be a problem. They are rather peaceful, but I have well have seen some nipping eachother a little when watching at the fish store, but the people I know that own then dont have any problems.

Rainbows are very peaceful-no problems here.

I dont know a lot about fw sharks, but I dont know if I would add one. They can be aggressive and may pick on any little fish that you might decide to add eventually. Or maybe even nip the rainbows or tetras ot slow moving angels. I don't know enough about them, just stories I've heard from people.

no blackskirts with angels. it's not a good idea. mine nip A LOT. i would go with something like rummynose tetras instead. the rainbow shark should be alright with the angels, just be sure to give him some hiding places so he can claim a territory. i don't have any personal experience with rainbows, but from what i hear they are peaceful and should be fine with the rest of the stock (assuming the blacksirts are changes of course)

The blackskirts are fine I have some with my angels the rainbows and angels are also fine however i recommend that you get some kind of pleco such as bristle nose instead of the shark if you dump the shark and get a pleco you could get a larger school of rainbows

IMO the stock list sounds pretty good. Just a few things to be aware of (they have been mentioned). If you get two angels you may end up with a breeding pair or two males. If this happens you can expect some aggression towards other fish or each other. My experience with black skirts is the bigger the school, the less nipping you get. I'd suggest getting at least 8 and watching carefully for nipping. Rainbows do best with pristine water conditions so keep on top of your water changes. The shark should be fine. As said provide it with caves/plants to hide in.

I've chatted with you before but, rainbow sharks are relatively non aggressive so long as you don't have any similarly colore fish with them. Angels would be better in larger groups.

I don't know that I would get a group of angels. They will be agressive towards eachother expecially during breeding.

George9 said:
I don't know that I would get a group of angels. They will be agressive towards eachother expecially during breeding.

Large groups are non aggressive however, small groups under 5 can be vey aggressive dowager eachother as one tries to gain dominance over the others.

Gawang said:
Large groups are non aggressive however, small groups under 5 can be vey aggressive dowager eachother as one tries to gain dominance over the others.

Yeah, but with a group greater than five That wouldn't leave much room for other fish.

Back
Top Bottom