Any room for 2-3 Adf's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. I am quite sure.

And an ACF should have more than 10 gallons IMO.
you do know there a different species that are called ADFs, right? the most common stay pretty small. there are 2 othere which get slightly larger.

I could do them in the 5 but then I wouldn't have a quarantine. Could I still do 5 in the 5 gallon by themselves? And if I ever need a quarantine I can put them in the 10?

I've been keeping ADF's for years and IMO/E five frogs will thrive in a 5 gal tank. At full grown they typically don't even reach 1.5", and are not incredibly active most of the day. They enjoy the company of other frogs and have a small bio-load. I keep 10 frogs in a 10 gal and they absolutely thrive. I've had frogs live upwards of 5 years...which is much longer than typical. Keep them in a tank heated to 80, with a smooth substrate, live plants, and feed only frozen foods and frog and tadpole bites, and stock 1 per gallon in a minimum of a 5 gal tank, and they will thrive.

Guys... YES, I know what an ADF is.

I can't say that I know much about then, other than someone saying here that they have a low bioload. Now that I think of it, isn't it true that they will eat smaller fish?

They would have to be some pretty small fish. LOL. :)

African Dwarf frogs stay small. I'm not disputing that. However, you have to remember that the ones in the pet stores still have some growing to do. Putting multiple frogs in a 10 gallon with a group of schoolers and a betta is not a good idea IMO. The frogs often have to be target fed as they are easily outcompeted for food, not to mention the serious lack of space for all that stock in a 10 gallon.

FWIW, the hobby is a lot more enjoyable if your stocking focus isn't just cramming as many animals you can get away with into a tank.

I've been keeping ADF's for years and IMO/E five frogs will thrive in a 5 gal tank. At full grown they typically don't even reach 1.5", and are not incredibly active most of the day. They enjoy the company of other frogs and have a small bio-load. I keep 10 frogs in a 10 gal and they absolutely thrive. I've had frogs live upwards of 5 years...which is much longer than typical. Keep them in a tank heated to 80, with a smooth substrate, live plants, and feed only frozen foods and frog and tadpole bites, and stock 1 per gallon in a minimum of a 5 gal tank, and they will thrive.
IMO,1 frog per gallon is overcrouded. 1 frog per 2 gallons is max IMO.

I agree completely...I keep them in a species only tank.

Cramming isn't my focus. IME, the frogs are more active and lively and seem to simply enjoy their live more when stocked 1 per gallon. IME they truly are the more the merrier, so to speak.

FWIW, the hobby is a lot more enjoyable if your stocking focus isn't just cramming as many animals you can get away with into a tank.

I agree. Quantity and variety are no substitute for a happy, healthy and well maintained aquarium. It doesn't have to be a contest to see how many fish we can shove into a single space.

IMO,1 frog per gallon is overcrouded. 1 frog per 2 gallons is max IMO.

I believe you said earlier in this thread that 5 frogs in the 10 gal would be good PLUS 6 fish...which I completely disagree with. Looks like we just have different stocking ideas for the frogs.

In about a decade I've had one that reached 2"..a female. The males won't usually even hit 1.5".

I only trying to say that that was as big as they could get, not as big as they will get. Many aquarium kept fish also don't grow to their maximum size either, but that can be due to overcrowding too.

I believe you said earlier in this thread that 5 frogs in the 10 gal would be good PLUS 6 fish...which I completely disagree with. Looks like we just have different stocking ideas for the frogs.
yes,but those fish are neon tetras,which get to an inch long and have a different swimming level than the frogs. i dont think 10 frogs would be overstocked bioload wise,but i dont think ten bottom feeders in a 10 gallon tank is a good idea.

Neons get a good bit larger than an inch.

Just because you read something in a profile online doesn't make it absolute truth. ;)

Well, right, we've already had this conversation. As I've already said, yes, they feed on the bottom, but they are all over the tank. I don't think it can be looked at in the same fashion as fish. It's not as if they are swimming back and forth looking for food all day. You feed in one spot and they come to that spot for feeding every day..otherwise they are swimming in all different areas of the tank...or just resting mid water in their famous zen pose. Anyway neons swim mid to bottom...but wherever they swim...I disagree that they have a different swimming level than the frogs.

And I have neons that are 2".

Well, right, we've already had this conversation. As I've already said, yes, they feed on the bottom, but they are all over the tank. I don't think it can be looked at in the same fashion as fish. It's not as if they are swimming back and forth looking for food all day. You feed in one spot and they come to that spot for feeding every day..otherwise they are swimming in all different areas of the tank...or just resting mid water in their famous zen pose. Anyway neons swim mid to bottom...but wherever they swim...I disagree that they have a different swimming level than the frogs.

And I have neons that are 2".
ok,i learned something about neons today, and i guess all of us will have to agree to disagree about the frogs.

Ok so I'm so confused on who to agree with. Siva who keeps them says 5 in a 5 is ok but then severum mama says it's not

Ok so I'm so confused on who to agree with. Siva who keeps them says 5 in a 5 is ok but then severum mama says it's not
i dont think 5 in a 5 is okay,i wouldnt reccomend them in a 5 at all. if you got them,i would suggest them in your 10.

Back
Top Bottom