Anyone build your own tank.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creno9210

Aquarium Advice Activist
How much did it cost? I'm taking gluing the side together and actually building a tank.

Thanks!

29 gallon~ 5 giant danio, pleco, chinese algae eater, two feeder gold fish because adorable
35 gallon~ red ear slider, two feeder goldfish left..

Personally i leave tank building to professionals. I'd be too scared to do it. What if it falls apart?

I'm interested in how you are building though. Take some pics.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haven't started yet. Wanted some advice. Prices and how long it takes.
I have a one and half year old so money isn't all that great.
Was wondering how much it all costs.

29 gallon~ 5 giant danio, pleco, chinese algae eater, two feeder gold fish because adorable
35 gallon~ red ear slider, two feeder goldfish left..

I am interested in this well. I was figure you can get 55g and maybe 75g around here for cheap but not too many bigger tanks and just wondered if when you get into bigger ones if it wouldn't be cheaper to make your own. I would def do it when it's warm outside and test fill it thoroughly before bringing it inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cost depends on obviously the size and what you choose to build it with. Glass or acrylic, acrylic costs more than glass. You could also do a plywood tank with just the front glass/acrylic for viewing which would make it considerably cheaper.

Unless building a huge tank though, the time and effort don't seem worth it to me.

If really curious, go onto monsterfishkeepers. There are a million and a half build threads. There's one guy even who made his basement and dug out his yard to make like a 50,000 gallon aquarium with a cage over top of it to keep exotic birds.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Advice is either wait for the 2 big box stores to have their $1/gal sale or Craigslist. glasscages.com sells tank frames but has a minimum order of $15. Each tank needs 2 frames. The 40g requires $30 worth of frame, you'll probably 2 small packs of aquarium sealant, (I resealed one before and think I used 2, can't remember) is $14. So far you're at $44 and haven't gotten glass or paid shipping yet. Not worth it to me.

http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=43

http://m.acehardware.com//product/i...409&KPID=1189037&kpid=1189037&pla=pla_1189037

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Creno, your could also try eBay for a used tank thats in excellent condition, and very cheap.
Just another option.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom