Newbie tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm new here to the forum and to aquarium life! I have been on this journey for about a year now and have a 72 gallon bow front aquarium set up. I have 1 red eared slider turtle, 2 goldfish and 3 plecos. Tank has a sponge filter, waterfall filter, heater, and UV/heat lamp (for turtle). Its nothing fancy but I love my little water babies! I just learned I need to run a 2nd sponge so will be adding that baby ASAP. Heres some quick pics- I believe I'm in the middle of a bacteria bloom so please excuse the cloudy cloud... :whistle:
120025-albums14818-picture72563.jpg

Update!

New setup! Moved turtle to his own tank. The goldies and plecos are in here for now. Goldies will be moving to a pond and most of the plecos going to new homes. Making room for something totally different in here!
120025-albums14818-picture72571.jpg

Nice!

The future sounds exciting!

And fish on the top 5 list?

Ooooh I haven't really thought of a top 5 but let's see (some of these probably won't/don't mix and match)..... :rolleyes:
1.) Discus
2.) Zebra pleco
3.) Japanese Angel
4.) Puffer
5.) Rainbowfish
And I would love to someday have an axolotl- they are so stinkin cute!

Discus

Not to say you can't or anything but ... Discus are very picky and expensive it's ad hard ad trying to keep a turtle tank crystal clear in other words very hard.

Not to say you can't or anything but ... Discus are very picky and expensive it's ad hard ad trying to keep a turtle tank crystal clear in other words very hard.

So I've heard! I don't plan on doing much until the turtle is out. I realize its going to be a challenge keeping anything with him so I've decided to get him his own tank. Once he's out I can decide what to put in there- so excited!

Japanese Angel and many puffer fish are saltwater fish.

Zebra Pleco are high end, along with Discus when keeping them in a nice group in a large tank. Both stunning choices. Discus are more advanced care, one of my absolutely favorite fish!!!

There are larger body Rainbow fish like Boesemani and smaller types like Red Neon Blue Rainbowfish (Pseudomugil Laminatus).

What is your tap water for pH, hardness and Alkalinity /KH?

Having a top fish wish list is not necessarily the same as a stocking list, FYI, Discus is on my top fish keeping list but not a good time for me to keep them, so I get to watch others tanks which keep them.

Japanese Angel and many puffer fish are saltwater fish.

Zebra Pleco are high end, along with Discus when keeping them in a nice group in a large tank. Both stunning choices. Discus are more advanced care, one of my absolutely favorite fish!!!

There are larger body Rainbow fish like Boesemani and smaller types like Red Neon Blue Rainbowfish (Pseudomugil Laminatus).

What is your tap water for pH, hardness and Alkalinity /KH?

Having a top fish wish list is not necessarily the same as a stocking list, FYI, Discus is on my top fish keeping list but not a good time for me to keep them, so I get to watch others tanks which keep them.

My taps PH is around 6-7 and more acidic than alkaline (dont know the KH offhand). Water is definitely on the hard side- not sure how to remedy this effectively. Any tips? Ive heard hard water is not ideal for some fish.

You can easily adjust the hardness with Reverse Osmosis water, in lessening the mineral content by dilution.

You also can use all RO or RO/DI Reverse Osmosis/Deionization which can be found for sale at most SW fish stores for ~$.50 per gallon. Using one similar to this, as long as it is rated for drinking water.
https://www.bigalspets.com/seachem-...31xB8_MlujzRXxzZ5AonktDLkExLLR7RoC5eoQAvD_BwE

Or buy a small RO system, might be more economical to select fish which thrive in your water type. You need to see what the numbers are when you get the chance for your water.

Often fish on the borderline of ideal parameters, often can adapt to very similar parameters. Occasionally a fish must have a certain type of water, those usually have that notation with their care information so with a few checks you can see if it will match up alright or not.

When you start making up an actual list of possible fish, armed with the water parameters of your tap, you can compare which fish are the most favorite you have.

Then see how many others cross match in compatibility, and availability in stores around you or if you can get them shipped to you from a seller.

Although social distancing is in effect check out if there are any clubs or Aquarium Society groups meeting around your home zone. Local resources /other hobbyists are often great because they may have been raised in the same type water you have.

Building a new tank is FUN!

You can easily adjust the hardness with Reverse Osmosis water, in lessening the mineral content by dilution.

You also can use all RO or RO/DI Reverse Osmosis/Deionization which can be found for sale at most SW fish stores for ~$.50 per gallon. Using one similar to this, as long as it is rated for drinking water.
https://www.bigalspets.com/seachem-...31xB8_MlujzRXxzZ5AonktDLkExLLR7RoC5eoQAvD_BwE

Or buy a small RO system, might be more economical to select fish which thrive in your water type. You need to see what the numbers are when you get the chance for your water.

Often fish on the borderline of ideal parameters, often can adapt to very similar parameters. Occasionally a fish must have a certain type of water, those usually have that notation with their care information so with a few checks you can see if it will match up alright or not.

When you start making up an actual list of possible fish, armed with the water parameters of your tap, you can compare which fish are the most favorite you have.

Then see how many others cross match in compatibility, and availability in stores around you or if you can get them shipped to you from a seller.

Although social distancing is in effect check out if there are any clubs or Aquarium Society groups meeting around your home zone. Local resources /other hobbyists are often great because they may have been raised in the same type water you have.

Building a new tank is FUN!

Thank you thank you thank you for all the info!
I have one LFS that has a super knowledgeable owner and crew. I may check with them to see if there are any clubs or groups in my area!
I will definitely take everything into consideration before stocking up. I love being able to come here and ask for advice since I'm still such a newbie. There's so much that goes into being a fish mom- I want to make sure I'm doing it all right. And it is super fun! I hope one day I can have a couple big tanks going!:fish2::fish2:

Back
Top Bottom