Anyone have an unfiltered tank/bowl at work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
The spouse is interested in having a small unfiltered tank or bowl at work, probably 2-3g. Probably basic gravel substrate, some java fern, maybe something floating, and either a few RCS or a baby betta.

If you have something similar at work what do you do about feedings over the weekends or holiday?

:thanks:

An unfiltered and unheated tank is best for just shrimp. Bettas need both filtration and heat.

It would be really neat to do a planted shrimp bowl. You could keep a desk lamp over the bowl on a timer to give it steady light.

My friend and I talked about doing this in her classroom with some shrimp. I agree betta needs more care and specialized care.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

lol I gave my grandma a guppy and it was alive in this tiny ammonia filled cube for over 6 months. Crazy how long it survived lol

Sent from my fish tank

Chilllllll it made my grandma happy and they are hardy little buggers

Sent from my fish tank

I have 2 vases with a beta in each along with some floating live plants on my window cell in my kitchen . They are thriving

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I think that is mean. Bettas need a heater and a filter. Hope they are 5 gallon vases..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Idk they seem to be doing great

My last betta was in a 1g Petco tank with a light but not heater or filter. I did have a few live plants in with he. I had him for over 4 years, really great personality.

Ya DIY fish guy did a great tutorial on a mini filter for tiny tanks, it's a great idea and looks pretty

Sent from my fish tank

Idk they seem to be doing great

To each their own, but in my experience bettas get bored easily in such small quarters... They really seem to enjoy the space to explore and cruise in a 5g tank.

I second the suggestion of a shrimp tank. Shrimp can be really neat to watch forage. Much more entertaining than a bored betta just lounging around.

Diy fish guy keeps one arrowana in a barren tank.... not saying much there. Science projects are just that.. I'm glad your grandmother enjoyed her 1/2 year old betta.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had a large filterless bowl with live plants for a beta. But I also did a water change every other day - m/w/f to kinda make up for it. My work allowed bowls but didn't want electricity involved for fear of who knows what :/ it was before I knew about/thought of shrimp. He lived for the 3 years I had him there. When I moved 6 hours away I handed him off to a co worker and he kept up with the water changes and everything and he had him for almost another 2 years :) he ended up being the team mascot. And then we also would get kits for sea monkeys and feeding them to him. Lol the ceo thought brine shrimp would get out of control when we asked about them but I said eff it and got the kids sea monkey kit. But he was ok with them. Hahaha he had no idea we used to all laugh about it so much

Back
Top Bottom