Anyone Have Nanochromis dimidiatus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
ndimidiatus_male.jpg

ndimidiatus_female.jpg

Has anyone ever kept this fish or know much about it? My local Fish Store has a pair of them that I would love to buy and breed. I just dont find much Information on them and theres only 2 Pictures of them I can even find...I know they like soft water, they will be in a 40 gallon tank. They cost 30$ Each. I dont know how sensitive them are. Any information you can give me about them I would really enjoy.

yeah they are a very cool fish. Just want to get as much info about them as I can. and theres not much out there.

anyone know if they can be kept with Blue Rams? They are small like them and I think have similar temperament?

From a little research, it comes from the Congo, and like the ram it wants acidic water conditions and such, but it sounds like an aggressive cichlid. Again, this is just from research, these seem like super rare fish so I have no experience personally.

I've never observed these in person but also from reading online and watching a couple YouTube vids, they reveal that the nanochromis dimidiatus are closely related to kribensis. Not sure if other than appearance and size if the care instructions and temperament are the same. Since there's not much literature on them, I would treat them as if they were Kribs. IME, the Krib is a little more aggressive than the Ram and has a higher potential of bullying the Ram around. This might be doable if you have a large densely planted tank with lots of hiding spots. Otherwise, I wouldn't risk it and just go with one species or the other. But that's just my opinion and I can be totally wrong (or right). :-/

I picked the pair up today and put them in my 75 gallon with my rams, The guy at the store who is very experinced with the Nanochromis and said they would be OK short term because they will only become to aggressive during breeding. they are stunning fish and will post pictures as soon as they get comfortable in the tank and get their color.

Back
Top Bottom