API Freshwater Test Kit master - Advice .. problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAG95

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I bought an API freshwater master test kit today off of someone
They told me they used it once. and the date they wrote in the back of the manual was october

So iv never done water tests before but have

A 5 gallon with x1 betta
&
A 30 gallon with x2 white cloud mountain minnows (cycling since Dec 20th)
aaandd
A tub on the floor keeping two goldfish in waiting to go into the 30 gal.. Aprox 13 gal

So I thought the water conditions were pretty bad in the tub on the floor and have been doing water changed quite a bit to keep the two fish happy

and I thought that the 5 gallon was about okay

and I thought that the 30 gal would need a few more weeks at least

but iv done water tests on all three and these are the results
(iv double checked them)

5gal -
PH - 6.6 Ammonia - 0 Nitrite - 0 Nitrate - 5

30gal -
PH - 7.2 Ammonia - .25 Nitrite - 0 Nitrate - 5

13gal tub -
PH - N/a Ammonia - 0 Nitrite - 0 Nitrate - 15

QUESTIONS:
Do you think Iv bought a dodgy kit?
Can the kits be dodgy?
are the results good? if they are correct?

The kit is in date till 2019

Test kits can definitely expire before the printed date due to storage conditions. But before considering that we need more details on how long these tanks have been setup. I saw you stated the 30gal has been setup sense 12/30 but not much about the others.The parameters don't seem crazy or out of line in readings but more along the lines of tanks that may still be cycling. If you have major concerns about the test kit itself most LFS will test your water for free.

Other issues can be how much you are feeding and how much water you are changing out and if you are siphoning enough waste out. Another thing to consider for the nitrate reading is the API nitrate test solution needs to be shaken vigorously for it to work properly. But then again goldfish are big waste producers so being in a 13 gal bin could be why you have those nitrate readings.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Test kits can definitely expire before the printed date due to storage conditions. But before considering that we need more details on how long these tanks have been setup. I saw you stated the 30gal has been setup sense 12/30 but not much about the others.The parameters don't seem crazy or out of line in readings but more along the lines of tanks that may still be cycling. If you have major concerns about the test kit itself most LFS will test your water for free.

Other issues can be how much you are feeding and how much water you are changing out and if you are siphoning enough waste out. Another thing to consider for the nitrate reading is the API nitrate test solution needs to be shaken vigorously for it to work properly. But then again goldfish are big waste producers so being in a 13 gal bin could be why you have those nitrate readings.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi thank you

1 betta in 5 gallon, set up November 1st. Fish went in 1st December
Planted java fern, amazon swords, water wisteria, guppy grass, other grass type long stuff, marimo moss ball
1 20 percent change a week (or less)
gravel not siphoned much at all
Filter sponge (big on the fluval spec) only squeezed out once a month
with ceramic media bag and wool biopad

2 white cloud minnow in 30gal, set up 20th Dec. Initial water used from the goldfish tub and squeesed out filter (all muck) - multiple times. 2 minnows went in 31st Dec.
Bare bottom, 3 marimo moss balls, guppy grass, water wisteria.
Filter not been touched - Juwel brand filter. Carbon sponge, Nitrax sponge, The coarse sponge mechanical
1 20 percent change a week
OH I ALSO HAD A ROTTING KING PAWN IN A BUCKET FOR A MONTH And that went in at first

13gal tub.. - 2 common goldfish (full length about 3/4inch) always in there, 50 percent changed once a week. bare bottom. 1 marimo moss ball. 1 small filter, squeezed out 3 times a week or so.

All fish are fed 2 times a day. Not too much food.
All water changes are done with Tetra AquaSafe OR more lately API Stress Coat+

I would expect the parameters to be correct on the 5 gal (y)
PH - 6.6 Ammonia - 0 Nitrite - 0 Nitrate - 5

I wouldnt expect the 30 gal to be cycled yet.. so what readings should I get?
PH - 7.2 Ammonia - .25 Nitrite - 0 Nitrate - 5

I expected the tub to explode the color test tube with ammonia and some nitrites... yet
PH - N/a Ammonia - 0 Nitrite - 0 Nitrate - 15

:banghead: Anything else? I feel that unless I have got extremely lucky my tanks are okay???
And if im quite unlucky I have bought a duff test kit and wasted £20!

:thanks:

Do local pet shops do free water tests?

If so, it take a notebook and a water sample and see what their's say....

Do local pet shops do free water tests?

If so, it take a notebook and a water sample and see what their's say....

Yeah Uk
big chain store 'PetsAtHome' do
But last week (the first time iv been to check water) I took water from both 5gal and 30gal

The bloke was pretty useless, came back and told me
5gal had high Ammonia
30gal had high Ammonia and Nitrate

He didnt give me the readings (ie .25ppm) So thats why i just went and bought one ..

Shall have to go again with a pen and pad for them (dont like how they took my water away and did the test round the back... is it a trust thing? haha)

Back
Top Bottom