API nitrate inaccuracy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I see it far far too often that people use the nitrate kit improperly resulting in a false reading of 0 due to the bottle not being shaken properly.

My issue with this is, that every time you use it improperly that it would throw all future readings off due to the changing ratio of the testing chemical to the fluid it's suspended in. If a person did a dozen or so nitrate tests this way; how much do you guys think that it would throw off the reading?

Also, it was asked of me to provide a link to the information that nitrate test kits measure nitrite.

Here's a link talking about how a specific nitrate test kit works in detail
NECi Nitrate FAQ | NECi

I can't find the original link at the moment for the nitrate test kit that I found. I'll keep looking though.

Hmmm yah know I never thought of it throwing off all future readings but that would make sense!

I always have issues because the 10 and 5 and then the 20 and 40 look so similar to me. (But at least it kinda gives a range) for me the colors of the trates are the hardest to read

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My kit sits for months with out being used. My stock is minimal and I know what it takes to keep them in check but I do use it when making major changes like setting up a new tank or filter swapping. The one thing I do though is shake and beat the bottles WAY more than in the instructions because I know it has sat for a while. With that I have never had what I would consider a false reading because when I do test and do a 50% water change and test 24h later the nitrates are 1/2 of the previous reading. I do think this test is easy to mess up though and unfortunately when new to this I can see the contents of the bottle changing as you are saying. The only way to correct this after messing up a few times would be to dispose of the test bottles and replace them.

I was bitten by the Nitrate test as well, and did a couple/three tests with 0's. Since there are 90 tests, I would assume each test done without shaking, might throw off the results about 1%? I'm not a big fan of the test, almost wonder if I'm color blind as telling the difference (in the tube) between 20-40-80 isn't easy.

I was bitten by the Nitrate test as well, and did a couple/three tests with 0's. Since there are 90 tests, I would assume each test done without shaking, might throw off the results about 1%? I'm not a big fan of the test, almost wonder if I'm color blind as telling the difference (in the tube) between 20-40-80 isn't easy.

It's not you! My husband and I look at it and kinda debate where it is every time. 20-40 is hard to tell

Is there a better nitrate test out there? I'm also fed up with api.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is there a better nitrate test out there? I'm also fed up with api.

There are, but they get expensive. There's really nothing wrong with the API kit except that people have a hard time differentiating between some of the colors.

That would be my guess as well. Thankfully, there's not a whole lot of difference between 20ppm and 40ppm in regards to tank health so it's not a big deal to be able to differentiate.

I don't much bother with the nitrate chart any more.
Yellow - good
Orange - needs a partial water change
Reddish - needs a big water change.
I only get this after a holiday when no small WCs have taken place. To be avoided if possible, the nitrate reading, not the holiday.
BTW I have never had a zero result except when checking my tap water which is super.

I have fragile invertebrates like shrimp and starfish in my tank. Even a low nitrate reading could upset them. If I got a reading of 5 I'd say ok I'll do a 10% wc within the next couple of days. But if I got a 20 I would do a larger water change immediately. Unfortunately it's pretty much impossible to differentiate the colors. But I do follow the same rules as scot with my freshwater tanks, where I let my nitrates get pretty high.

Back
Top Bottom