API vs pHep 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jarrod0987

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have always believed the API color changing pH indicator tests were inaccurate and I decided to run a test with my pHep 5 ph Probe from Hanna Instruments. Recently Re calibrated with new solution.

I used my Aquarium with crushed coral to see how much difference there was.
First up the regular range ph test.
Off the chart as expected. Above 7.6

High range test results
Hard to read in this range but best guess is around 8.0

Now for the phep 5.
****...API made an *** out of me :D

That's good info to know. I've been somewhat skeptical of the API ph test as well. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's good info to know. I've been somewhat skeptical of the API ph test as well. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't think the low range test is easy to read at all so not useful. The high range test is little better but still hard to read. With Ph close enough is good enough honestly. I guess a person could get by with it.

The API pH tests were making me crazy, then LFS (which happens to be one of the biggest freshwater stores in the country) said quit using those and use a wide range kit made for hydroponics. It shows in increments of one full point, half a point on either side of 7. They said anything more specific just encourages people to mess with their pH or panic unnecessarily.

It's worked for me for 18 months!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

The API pH tests were making me crazy, then LFS (which happens to be one of the biggest freshwater stores in the country) said quit using those and use a wide range kit made for hydroponics. It shows in increments of one full point, half a point on either side of 7. They said anything more specific just encourages people to mess with their pH or panic unnecessarily.

It's worked for me for 18 months!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Hydroponic Ph test strip? I am so going to try that out. I agree, Don't mess with it.

Back
Top Bottom