apple snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benji-star

Aquarium Advice Activist
blk mystery snail or apple snail what ever you want to call them. I have two tanks soon to be three and everyone is always going on about pest snails. I have three snails now all from lfs and they are very large but i never have any baby snails. is that normal? i want baby snails? what can I do?

benji - I have one apple (just for the reasons stated above). They like to eat/nibble on live plants and if you have a mating pair...lots of offsprng who like to eat/nibble...etc. Other than that, they are great. It's recommended that to induce mating to raise temp a little. That's if you do have a mating pair out of the three you have.

i have 4 very large snails. one gold mystery, one black, and two ivory. i really wanted them to have babies but i guess theyre all males. so one day i was at petsmart, and they gave me a free baby snail, about this big ____. i put it in my 2 gal, and a week later i found these tiny, clear egg patches all over the tank! now i have over 50 baby snails lol. now i agree with others when they say theyre pests!

Apple snails are one of the few snails that are actually gendered. Most of the pest snails are of the hermaphrodite variety which is part of the reason they explode all over the tank. *bad mental image there* If you want your apple snails to procreate you'll have to make sure you have a female in there...and you can tell the difference if you watch them long enough. So yeah...it's normal.

Apple snails also lay their eggs out of the water. They'll climb up wherever they can and lay bright neon pink eggs. A pretty cool sight.

Umberle said:
Apple snails are one of the few snails that are actually gendered. Most of the pest snails are of the hermaphrodite variety which is part of the reason they explode all over the tank. *bad mental image there*

Lol. Trapdoor snails also have separate genders.

I have one very large apple snail and a black shelled snail. About 3 weeks ago I noticed some very very small snails crawling around. To this day I'm still trying to move them all over to a 10 gal tank to seclude them from my main tank. I still have about 15 egg sacs that do not appear to have hatched yet either.. 8O

I have no idea what I will do with them all, especially as they get bigger.

Mudfrog- How bout keeping the snails in their own tank and when they get bigger you can trade them into your lfs for store credit or something?

Lance M. said:
Umberle said:
Apple snails are one of the few snails that are actually gendered. Most of the pest snails are of the hermaphrodite variety which is part of the reason they explode all over the tank. *bad mental image there*

Lol. Trapdoor snails also have separate genders.

heh, as I said...one of the few.

Thats what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if they would go for it.

or little jars and give them to people you don't like....or alternatively...sell them as loach treats.

Back
Top Bottom