Aquarium stands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zimmanski

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone know if there is a non biased site that has aquarium stand reviews? I bought a top fin 55-75 stand that I really liked then I had the bright idea that I should read reviews before I put it together so if everyone says its junk I can return it. Any ideas? Thanks everyone

The stand I bought looks like the the stand they have labeled "ameriwood stand" but it's actually a top fin stand. Their reviews were mostly good, a couple bad, but most said that you really have to be careful with water because it's not waterproof or something? I don't plan on throwing my stand in a pool but do you think if I had a couple drops spill on it that it would somehow f up my new stand? That would be a sorry waste of $150.

All stands you see in the big box pet stores are made to resist water to some degree. As long as it's not a constant wetting it should be fine for years.

That's great news! I really like it, and I was surprised at the weight of the box so I thought it would be pretty sturdy. Thanks guys, those responses were exactly what I needed!

I have three rules when buying stands: avoid stands made out of medium density fiberboard (mdf), buy a stand made for a tank the next size up, and the base must be flat instead of four legs so as to distribute the weight across the floor.

David

Most chain store stands are in fact MDF it would be hard to find one that's solid wood unless you make a custom stand, making or buying a solid wood stand would cost an arm and a leg.

Building a basic 2x4 stand is actually pretty cheap, it's cheaper than buying one of those prefab MDF things in the store anyway.

You can get one of the big box hardware stores to cut the wood to spec, just know the dimensions you need before you go. And pick wood that is straight.

Here's a link to a good basic tank stand design. It's not pretty,but you can always add paint/stain, paneling and trim to it if you want.
http://freshwatercichlids.com/do-it-yourself-aquarium-stand

Another simple option is a cinder block stand. I've only got one of these so far and its simplicity is unrivaled. I know some people are sketchy when you think cinder blocks and fish tanks but it is actually very sold if done correctly.

Last edited:
I build a stand for my 75 gallon with room for my sump and qt underneath and it cost me all total less than 50 bucks

Thats really cool, I think Im going to see how this stand works for me but if I ever have to get another stand I will definately build my own, I like the idea of making it how I want and that it all sounds really cheap

Back
Top Bottom