Are GBR or Bolivian Rams okay solo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
The wife has informed me we're getting a Ram today, lol. I keep going back and forth between the German Blues and Bolivians. I know the GBR are more sensitive, but my water parameters are pristine with the exception of pH being a tiny bit higher than ideal for them (7.4) and temp maybe a couple degrees too low.

I only want one to serve as a solo centerpiece fish and also to avoid any aggression if a pair wanted to spawn.

I appreciate any last minute input before we head to the lfs. I definitely like the appearance of the GBR's more, but my goal is to provide a peaceful, healthy environment...not just try something out because we like it.

Here's my parameters-
Ammo- 0
NitrItes- 0
NitrAtes- 5
pH- 7.4
Relatively soft water (can't remember the level)
Temp- 77 degrees
Stocked with neons, red eye tetras, danios and Otos.

Thanks!

Homedog98 said:
I would go with Bolivian, hardier, and they pretty up with age.

That's what I'm leaning towards. I'd rather have a GBR based on coloration, but I've got everything so perfectly balanced I don't want to make a risky decision.

I like a challenge so I'd probably go GBR. They are a bit risky, and can die due to bad stock quite easily so its a bit of a gamble....But the reward is well worth it.

I agree, I love my bolivians. I rescued a GBR from a LFS today, that was going to be euthanized. He does put all my bolivians to shame, we'll see how long he lasts.

gkuzel said:
I agree, I love my bolivians. I rescued a GBR from a LFS today, that was going to be euthanized. He does put all my bolivians to shame, we'll see how long he lasts.

Ended up getting a Bolivian male today. He's beautiful. He'd been at the lfs for a month, so he had beautiful colors. I'm getting some pics tomorrow and I'll post them either here or on my tank thread. Thanks for the info everybody!

eco23 said:
Ended up getting a Bolivian male today. He's beautiful. He'd been at the lfs for a month, so he had beautiful colors. I'm getting some pics tomorrow and I'll post them either here or on my tank thread. Thanks for the info everybody!

Hey Eco, let me know how does he do with the tetras, I just going to upgrade my tank from 26G to a 100G tank, and I'm also interested in rams... I will try to do a fast fish less cycle in the 100G tank using my existing filters and substrate. I posted a tread about it...

ejaramillo01 said:
Hey Eco, let me know how does he do with the tetras, I just going to upgrade my tank from 26G to a 100G tank, and I'm also interested in rams... I will try to do a fast fish less cycle in the 100G tank using my existing filters and substrate. I posted a tread about it...

I'll definitely update how it's going. He seems to be getting along well with the other fish with the exception of chasing a danio around the tank for a solid 30 seconds the first time he was fed. I'm gonna have to start a new thread with pics, because honestly now I'm not sure if he's Bolivian or a GBR. At the LFS he was classic Bolivian colors, but when feeding time came around...all these vibrant blue colors suddenly appeared.

Alright, here's the deal. The sticker on the glass said Blue Ram. However, in the LFS they were all classic Bolivian..nice tan color, dark streaks, red eyes...absolutely no hint of blue. I know that Bolivians are not usually very colorful until they settle in, but since they had been at the LFS for over a month... I figured they had gotten pretty colorful. The owner (who I would never listen too) said he ordered Blues, but he wasn't sure if they were Bolivians or not.

He only showed any blue colors during feeding. It's like he brightened up to show how big he was so the other fish would leave him some food. Sine then he's lost the blue color again.

Let me know what you think. I'll probably post a new thread with an appropriate title sometime to get a bunch of opinions.

Attachments

• GBR 016.jpg
    GBR 016.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 91
  • GBR 009.jpg
    GBR 009.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 96
  • GBR 008.jpg
    GBR 008.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 85
  • GBR 003.jpg
    GBR 003.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 87
I noticed he is in with a neon tetras which are really small...is he agressive towarda any... I might throw one in with my angel and pearl gouramie along with my other small fish, similar to neons in size( just not sure of their name...)

fishboy87 said:
I noticed he is in with a neon tetras which are really small...is he agressive towarda any... I might throw one in with my angel and pearl gouramie along with my other small fish, similar to neons in size( just not sure of their name...)

He hasn't even noticed the neons...I've got 9 of them and they're actually pretty large. The Ram has only chased a Danio, and the red eye tetras seem to have considered him one of their own as they like to follow him around the tank.

Wow, he is way more colorful than my female bolivian, I'm starting to think somethings wrong with her :(

Fishboy: I have neons with my ram and she is perfectly fine with them. One of them is tiny, around 1/2 an inch, and she hasn't shown any agression. In comparison, my platy spend a few minutes trying to eat the smallest one before realizing it could outswim her. They are also very timid when eating, she lets the platies get their first pick of food before eating their leftovers.

Just noticed his eyes look red in the first 2 pictures. Is that just a trick of light? Only GBRs have red eyes, the bolivians have black.

Tropical said:
Wow, he is way more colorful than my female bolivian, I'm starting to think somethings wrong with her :(

Fishboy: I have neons with my ram and she is perfectly fine with them. One of them is tiny, around 1/2 an inch, and she hasn't shown any agression. In comparison, my platy spend a few minutes trying to eat the smallest one before realizing it could outswim her. They are also very timid when eating, she lets the platies get their first pick of food before eating their leftovers.

Does he look like a Bolivian or a GBR to you?

Tropical said:
Just noticed his eyes look red in the first 2 pictures. Is that just a trick of light? Only GBRs have red eyes, the bolivians have black.

Well, guess he's a GBR then, lol.

The wife will be happy, a GBR is what she wanted and I feel bad because I've shot down every other stocking idea she had. I notched up the temp a couple degrees and I'll make sure the nitrAtes don't get over 5.

eco23 said:
Alright, here's the deal. The sticker on the glass said Blue Ram. However, in the LFS they were all classic Bolivian..nice tan color, dark streaks, red eyes...absolutely no hint of blue. I know that Bolivians are not usually very colorful until they settle in, but since they had been at the LFS for over a month... I figured they had gotten pretty colorful. The owner (who I would never listen too) said he ordered Blues, but he wasn't sure if they were Bolivians or not.

He only showed any blue colors during feeding. It's like he brightened up to show how big he was so the other fish would leave him some food. Sine then he's lost the blue color again.

Let me know what you think. I'll probably post a new thread with an appropriate title sometime to get a bunch of opinions.

Nice pictures. And nice fish too

Back
Top Bottom