Are ghost shrimp the ones they sell cheap at the LFS???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmaglich

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I keep seeing pictures of ghost shrimp, and am having problems distinguishing them from the shrimp they sell at my local LFS for 8 for $1. I would like to buy some to put them in my 30 gallon any pout them in with my angels, gourami, danios, rainbow shark, corys, and wonder if they would have a problem in there, or would get harassed? Thanks!

Yes, those would be ghost shrimp. Your angel and rainbow shark may harass them, but they may also ignore them...only one way to find out.

the rainbow shark may eat them depending on the size, but i'm assuming they should be cool

ghost shrimp can be a cool addition as tank cleaners or they can be expensive food for your fish

Depending on the size of the angles and gouramis, the Ghost Shrimp may be snack food. My Opaline Gourami just loved Ghosts. At $0.25 each, I sure didn't like him snacking on them.

When I had just 2 or 3 in with my goldfish they ignored him, even gave him rides sometimes. When I added 8 at once, they became a midnight snack. Then then ignored the rest again. At the time the goldfish were about 2-3 inches.

I added about 5 to the tank. It has been downright comical watching the fish. The angel will try to go after the small ones, as will the Danios. They are relentless, but the shrimp just scoot out of the way of the "attackers". The angels have actually been scouring the bottom and holes looking for the shrimp. Well worth the $1.

I just bought 15 of them today to divide between the tanks. I have to say, now I know why they call them ghost shrimp - occassionally I've been able to spot one but for the most part they could be fishfood already for all I know LOL

I'd love to be a fly on the wall watching your Angels - I literally laughed out loud at your description

My 8 quickly turned into 0 with my apistos. I paid less than $1 for them (asked for 3 and the guy at the store gave me 8 and wrote 3 on the bag). I watched the apistos tear into a couple of them. I guess they enjoyed the snack.

My brother likes to keep eels and they simply love to feed on ghost shrimp the first chance they can get so I guess what I am trying to say is that they are sold as feeders for preditory aquatic animals.

I get ghosts shrimp by a quantity of 100, they last a few weeks. Good snack, my bichir becomes fat and happy. In the time they are in teh tank though, tehy do a good job of cleaning up any mess, including eating the fish-waste that settles in certain parts of the tank and cleaning up all the snail slime left after my 3 big apple snails.

would it be ok to just dump in like 25 into a 30 gallon tank? Only think I would worry about is having the fish overfeed...any suggestions?

Try using screen tank dividers and occasionally release a couple of ghost shrimp into the rest of the tank.

I get my oscars a snack of ghost shrimp about once a month they love them, and much healthier than feeders.

Back
Top Bottom