Asian community tank stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishStarter89

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I've been working on a stocking list for my upcoming tank. I'm focusing exclusively on an Asian themed community tank. Right now I'm considering stoking Dwarf and Pearl gouramis along with tiger barbs and perhaps some loaches.

Would those two gourmis work together? I've been getting mixed reviews from various books/websites, but honestly, I trust the advice from this forum more than I would other sources. I would really appreciate suggestions for the stocking of this tank (29g) with my theme in mind, as well. Thanks so much!

Dg can be rather bossy, so it may work, or it may not. Gouramis have variable temperaments so its a bit hard to say.
I don't suggest tiger barbs with either of those gouramis however. I think you would be asking for trouble with the tiger barbs' nippy tendencies and the long feelers on the gouramis. I suggest gold barbs instead. They are pretty, Asian, and much more peaceful than tiger barbs.

I looked into the gold barbs and they seem great, I think I'll stock them instead. I was a bit nervous about the nippy tendency of the tiger barbs to begin with.

Yeah, tb are awesome fish, but you do have to be cautious about what tankmates they have. I am glad you like the gold barbs though. They are very attractive IMO, and have a similar color combo to the tigers. :)

Anybody else know whether dwarf gouramis and pearl gouramis are compatible? A fish book I own claims that pearls are the most docile of gouramis but I don't know whether that affects whether they should be kept with the dwarfs or not.

i have owned both pearls and DGs, never together but in different tanks and i would NEVER attempt to house them together... if you want gouramis, pick something besides a DG. Pearl gouramis are wonderful! but need to be kept in trios or aggression can take over.. i had a trio and my male jumped out of the tank and died.. i was left with 2 females and the larger one (by maybe 1/3 inch) almost bullied the smaller one to death.

they are very docile, and that why they are a target for the DGs aggression

tiger barbs should not be housed with the Pearls because they will nip their fins

Back
Top Bottom