assassin snail question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a good amount pf pond snails in my tank. If i add an assassin will it completely wipe them out or just keep the population to a minimum? Bc id like to keep somesome

My tank was over run by snails, they were everywhere! In my experience with the assassins, I bought 5 of them and now I have a healthy balance of snails in my tank. The assassins didn't wipe out the other snails but they definitely keep the population at bay.

I had huindreds of pond and ramshorn snails so I bought 2 assassins. They eat 1 snail everyday or everyother day. You need alot to destroy all the snails. I emptying and refilled my tank to get rid of them. The funny thing is they do not eat babies. So I would say unless you get it undercontrol first no they will not be able to. Now I will say that if you have an overabundance of snails they will breed like mad because of the excess food!

My snails probably only have enough food to breed bc i leave an algae wafer in the tank for days.
I really just think itd be cool to have an assassin snail to prey on them. Like adding another part to the food chain

Tarpon, that's one reason I have one in there and leave snail eggs alone. I'm also weird and find it kind of cool seeing a couple empty snail shells in the substrate--extra decoration!

I let mine be they don't over populate the tank they eat what extra food is in the tank they don't bother the plants, and my guppies play with them

Scouser said:
I bought one an it dealt with my issues, little guy is fed with algae wafer and courgette now lol!

Cool filter! What type is it? I'm thinking of sacing up for a new one after i save up to replace my gravel.

smileyface9 said:
Cool filter! What type is it? I'm thinking of sacing up for a new one after i save up to replace my gravel.

Yeah i was wondering what the heck that was hahahaha

Back
Top Bottom