How to get rid of Nerite Snail Eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faysalals1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know Nerite Snails eggs dont hatch in freshwater, and thats the main reason I have them.

But I dont like how they lay eggs everywhere as it doesnt look good.

Is there another animal that will eat their eggs?

And is it true that if I just leave it, eventually it will go away by its own?

The only way ive ever got rid of nerite eggs was manual removal. I find a dental scalpel is good for picking them off driftwood, and wirewool is good for scraping them off rocks. Ive read somewhere that you can chemically remove them. They are calcium carbonate, so an acid?

Ive never had them go away on their own, but my water is fairly hard, moderately high pH. They might gradually disolve in soft, acidic water.

You learn to live with the eggs or just dont keep nerite snails.

Interesting from one of your previous thread you had read that the type of nerites in your aquarium didn't lay eggs. So i guess thats one piece of information out there that is incorrect.

The only way ive ever got rid of nerite eggs was manual removal. I find a dental scalpel is good for picking them off driftwood, and wirewool is good for scraping them off rocks. Ive read somewhere that you can chemically remove them. They are calcium carbonate, so an acid?

Ive never had them go away on their own, but my water is fairly hard, moderately high pH. They might gradually disolve in soft, acidic water.

You learn to live with the eggs or just dont keep nerite snails.

Interesting from one of your previous thread you had read that the type of nerites in your aquarium didn't lay eggs. So i guess thats one piece of information out there that is incorrect.

I saw a random post on reddit of someone saying Red Racers dont even lay eggs unlike other Nerites, but im not sure about that information. I did add Zebra Nerite Snail with my Red Racer so I cant really confirm if that info in correct.

But a good tip I got is Horned Nerite snails eggs and extremely small you can barely see them, and they dont lay much eggs.

How often do Nerite Snails lay eggs? If its once every 6 months I can remove them, but if its a weekly thing maybe ignore it.

How often really depends on the snail and how much food is available. If food is readily available then they will probably lay every 2 or 3 days. And obviously the more snails you have the more eggs you will find.

Mine lay eggs in phases - sporadic bouts of eating, sleeping, egg laying with no perceivable pattern. As Aiken mentioned, they don't go away in hard water. Some people have had success with the edge of a plastic card (like a credit card), or dental tools, or even a fingernail. I haven't tested my water, but based on that I'd say mine is on the soft side; at about 2-3 months the eggs dissolve. Of course, by then they're at it again, so it's an ebb-and-flow of eggs. I've kinda gotten used to them and don't really see them any more.

Back
Top Bottom