Australian Rainbows- A gender mystery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Merloo132

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, maybe not a mystery to more experienced rainbow keepers, but this is my first squadlet. If possible from these pictures, I'd like to try and get some gender identities. Three look to be at a similar stage of development, with another clearly showing more adult coloration and- more telling- size. From my reading I've determined that rainbows can be relatively easy to sex, but with the size/color difference I don't trust myself to accurately sex them.

There are four fish, and the least disappointing scenario I'm hoping for a 50/50 split. Ideally, I want three ladies and a male. I did not think about this when choosing the fish so if I have a 50/50 I might end up getting some more females to even the odds. Of course, if I have three males then... Guess I'll do some exchanging which I want to avoid because I just got them and don't want to over stress the poor creatures.

Anyways, I'm going to number each fish and they will keep the numbers through the series of photos. Their are some notable differences. I can definitely tell them all apart.

1013192145b.jpg
This is Fish 1. The only pic of Fish 1. Fish 1 is shy and does not like getting its picture taken.

1013192146.jpg
Fish 2, Fish 3, and Fish 4 from top to bottom, respectively. Fish 2 is the chunker. Fish 3 and 4 sport some red tones on base of caudal fins.

1013192146b.jpg
Final picture of Fish 2 AKA Big One and Fish 3. This is probably the most accurate capture of their colors. Phone camera yellowed them quite a bit.

You are probably correct as long as you know they are the same species. Chunker, fish 2 is the male for sure. The other 3 are most likely females. Caveat: They are slow-growing, and so the body shape that develops will also be a clue. These are fairly young. If you want to know for sure look for breeding behavior. Since you do not have a second male you may not see the kind of coloring and flaring that is so fun to watch. They can go nearly black when they are pissed off. Oh, the sexual dimorphism of the Glossolepis (New Guinea) is much more pronounced than the Australian.

Back
Top Bottom