Automatic feeder question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niks93gt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was considering getting an automatic feeder... but I don't want it to over feed my fish. How much food does it put in the tank and will it be enough/not enough for my fish?

Nik

I assume you are talking about a mechanical one. You should be able to set how much food it puts out, although I have read other users saying it overfeeds, but then cranking it down a notch might be better. I don't think anything measures proper amounts of food like a real person unfortunately, so I wouldn't rely on one all the time for daily feedings if you are able to feed the fish yourself. If you're on vacation for a weekend, I would just skip feeding just for the weekend.

You think it's better to skip feeding for a 3 day weekend than to possibly overfeed a little bit for those 3 days?

Not being fed for 3 days won't hurt the fish. (Although they'll probably be glad to see you when you get back.) I would use feeder for a longer vacation. My experience with them was back in college where the mechanical one was way more trustworthy to not overfeed than my roommate... :)

Back
Top Bottom