backups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently only have one filter and one heater on each of my two tanks, but have recently read online suggestions that it would be better to have two. I'm not talking about larger tanks where it's obviously needed, but rather for 20g or even 10g tanks.

How many of you have multiple heaters and filters in your medium-sized tanks?

James_in_MN said:
I currently only have one filter and one heater on each of my two tanks, but have recently read online suggestions that it would be better to have two. I'm not talking about larger tanks where it's obviously needed, but rather for 20g or even 10g tanks.

How many of you have multiple heaters and filters in your medium-sized tanks?

Not sure you'd have enough room on a 10, but a 20 you would. I keep 2 running on my 37 for a couple reasons, one I have goldies and they're pooping machines so I need the extra cleaning capacity. Secondly, I can pull one if I need to QT anybody, I just move 1 filter, some tank water and a lava rock to my 20 and I have an instantly cycled tank. Oh yeah, I can strip down one, clean it good (sans media, but keep it wet) and still be filtering.

I only keep one heater in tank, but mine are coldwater fish and only heat because it's better for them. If it fails I have a back up to add at anytime.

If you have two tanks, small ones, in a worst case scenario (one of the filters died) you will still have the option to transfer the fish to the other tank for a short period of time,
As long as you keep your old biomedia, or cartridges wet from the faulty filter, you will be able to buy another filter, same model and re use your old biomedia or cartridges in the new filter, and then you can transfer your fish back.

There is a chance for a possible mini cycle, but nothing catastrophic.

Just my opinion

i have 3 filters running on my 55.. and 2 on my 29.. its better to over filter than to under filter.. now, heat, i just do 1 heater, unless its like 200 gallons.

I forgot about ten heater.

I do have a spare heater, not in the tank, still in the original package, for the case of an emergency. It is not bad idea to stick both inside, in case one fails the other takes over. But I do observe my fish tank a lot.... Ann I meaning a lot, so I hope that if the heater fails I will be able to notice on time, and then I will introduce the spare into my tank.

Extra filtration is always good for your fish, as long as the water isn't too turbulent for the type of fish you keep.

I definately agree with the logic of the other posters, extra filtration is an excellent insurance policy. Two of my three larger tanks have double filters.

It is very nice to have, but not absolutely mandatory. When I need new equipment, I buy with an eye towards double heat and filtration, but I don't panic if it isn't feasible.

I understand that there is no such thing as over-filtration, and that's why I bought a higher rated filter (Aqueon Quietflow 30) for my 20g tank (besides the fact that you can't trust manufacturer ratings). I think that if I were to add another filter, it would probably have to be a canister and not another HOB since there isn't a lot of room on a 20g high.

I can put my hospital filter in my 10g then instead of bothering with acquiring another filter for it.

What about additional heaters? Perhaps just keep one handy rather than putting two in the tank?

You can always put a sponge on the intake of your existing filters. Or just supplement with an air or powerhead driven sponge. I do this in most of my tanks.

You can always put a sponge on the intake of your existing filters. Or just supplement with an air or powerhead driven sponge. I do this in most of my tanks.

I don't have an undergravel filter, so I don't think a powerhead would work out in my case. I also don't believe that I need to do further enhancement to the filter I have with sponges on the intake; I'm looking at the need for a backup filter in case the one I have fails. It looks like you're covered with an undergravel filter though.

It sounds like I need to check out the cannister filters for my 20g and put my hospital filter in my cycling 10g. And probably a backup 100w heater in-package just in case.

I stopped using UGF years ago. I find it impossible to clean without tearing the whole tank down. I'll post some pics to clarify what I am referring to as back up filters as soon as I can.

The solution I came up with is count my tanks, normal filtering for all of them and add one to the mix on anyone of my tanks that I can. If one fails or I need to do an emergency set-up, I pull one from a tank and I'm set. If a failure were to occur, it's a short drive to petco for a replacement. One thing I do, is keep a spare impeller for each of my main filters (different mfg), as this has been the ONLY thing associated with a filter failing.

Fact is, I've never had an outright failure. One may quit because (mostly) an impeller will get gunked up and not spin at full rate. Coils (motors) will last forever unless they're abused and any plastic parts that may break can (have been) repaired or replaced in short order.

I didn't read the other posts.

I have one filter AC70 and back up that is not in used. I figured if the one I'm using fails I will just shove my media in the other one. I do have 2 heaters in my aquarium. I noticed that with one heater, it's always on and I figured that will shorten it's life. When I got two, the heating is more even and the on/off is alternating between the two. Also makes me sleep better that if one goes out while I'm sleeping, my fishes won't freeze to death.

In my 10 gallon at work, I only have one heater. The heater/AC is always on here so I think if anything happens, at least the warm room will get the fishes by until I get another one.

James_in_MN said:
I don't have an undergravel filter, so I don't think a powerhead would work out in my case. I also don't believe that I need to do further enhancement to the filter I have with sponges on the intake; I'm looking at the need for a backup filter in case the one I have fails. It looks like you're covered with an undergravel filter though.

It sounds like I need to check out the cannister filters for my 20g and put my hospital filter in my cycling 10g. And probably a backup 100w heater in-package just in case.

This is a pic of my only example of a powerhead driven sponge as a backup filter

The powerhead is attached to an uplift tube which is attached to the sponge.

This next one is an example of am air driven sponge where an air line is inserted into the uplift tube of the sponge. Some of mine also have a diffuser deeper in the sponge

Attachments

• image-2273666839.jpg
    image-2273666839.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 46
  • image-1903934432.jpg
    image-1903934432.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 53
This is a pic of my only example of a powerhead driven sponge as a backup filter

The powerhead is attached to an uplift tube which is attached to the sponge.

This next one is an example of am air driven sponge where an air line is inserted into the uplift tube of the sponge. Some of mine also have a diffuser deeper in the sponge

Well that's interesting. And here, I figured power heads were almost exclusively used with an UGF. I guess you learn something new every day. :p

I may consider either that setup or a cannister filter for my 20g.

Well that's interesting. And here, I figured power heads were almost exclusively used with an UGF. I guess you learn something new every day. :p

I may consider either that setup or a cannister filter for my 20g.

One thing to consider when using power heads is the fishes needs. I wanted to put one in with my Moors as a second filter element, but they do not like heavy/hard (cross) currents. I opted for 2nd HOB filter instead.

I do have 2 heaters in my aquarium. I noticed that with one heater, it's always on and I figured that will shorten it's life. When I got two, the heating is more even and the on/off is alternating between the two. Also makes me sleep better that if one goes out while I'm sleeping, my fishes won't freeze to death.

That's one of the reasons I was debating having two heaters in my tanks even though they're not large. It shouldn't be any additional electricity since it would just distribute the load from one to two heaters. All it would cost is additional money and tank space.

Back
Top Bottom