Bad Expirence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesse W

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today I went down to a LFS to purchase a discus. I'm trying to find some
Smaller Juveniles and unfortunately they are far and few between around my area. So I walk in the store (me and my girlfriend do look rather young) anyway we ask the guy if he has any discus in stock. He says "yeah, I only have one" and turns the light on. It's a beautiful yellow
Discus and it's the perfect size and looks very healthy (I know getting discus from a LFS is not always a great idea but I observe them and make sure they look pretty good before purchasing). Anyway the fish was awesome and only 29.00$! Then this guy starts grilling me on my knowledge of discus, and I literally mean asking me every aspect on discus keeping and telling me I'm "not prepared". This is coming from a guy who tells me that discus like old water and you should only change their water once a month! What a joke! This man saw we were young and assumed I had no idea what I was doing. After he was done with his rant, he simply said "have a good day" and turned off the light in the tank. I couldnt believe it!!

BalloonBellies said:
Wait so he didn't sell you the fish? That's just messed up

Nope! Turned the light off, said "have a good day", and walked away! Unreal!

Haha LFSs just need to find the medium between this guy and the ones that sell common plecos with 20G tanks.

Psh! I would say go another time and try to find a different employee. Unless of course you feel they don't deserve your business, which I completely understand! I admire you for not lashing out at the working, I personally would have probably used some strong words... shame on me!

Jesse I hope this isn't the LFS you were asking about in the other thread?

that really sucks, sorry he was jerk

You should've returned the favor and grilled him on his knowledge of things like working in a business and customer service.

Wow that's a bit extreme! I know discus are notoriously sensitive and need a carer who's prepared for a bit of work, but really? This guy would just put people off buying there not owning the fish entirely!

Thanks guys. Just wanted someone to agree with me! Just insane. Unfortunately this guy is the owner and is pretty much the only one ever there. But I really don't wanna give him my money anyway! I do feel bad though, he has 1 lonely discus (who's water is apparently changed once a month) and he has had a musk turtle in a 20G tank with no basking area, no heater, no light and dirty water! And it's illegal to sell turtles in NJ! Hate people like this!

if u really want that fish have a friend or family member go in there and play "stupid" have them tell the owner that they only change the water once a month lol

Quest84 said:
if u really want that fish have a friend or family member go in there and play "stupid" have them tell the owner that they only change the water once a month lol

Hahaha! I actually thought about that!

I would do exactly as quest said. Obviously you know how to care for a discus properly regardless of your age. Just get someone else to go in and tell the guy what he wants to hear. Sounds to me like the fish would be better off with you anyway.
Goodluck with whatever you decide.

And when this shop goes out of business, you'll hear this owner whining up and down about gov't or taxes or big name stores or some other reason to blame for killing off his business instead of admitting it was caused by him being a tool.

Haha, looked at your bio, and your 20ish? Thats not too young. Imagine being 16 and into reef tanks! I get the stupid look all the time lol.

Sucks tho:( whatd you say about keeping discus exactly?

Yupp I can't wait for the day he goes outta business. I just mentioned basic discus care. Stuff like, higher temp, pristine water, best kept in groups, diet, etc... He then went on his mini rant on how discus love old water and it shouldn't be changed more than once a month. I hate not being taken seriously especially as I consider myself a serious hobbyist. I can only imagine being 16 :/

Jesse W said:
Yupp I can't wait for the day he goes outta business. I just mentioned basic discus care. Stuff like, higher temp, pristine water, best kept in groups, diet, etc... He then went on his mini rant on how discus love old water and it shouldn't be changed more than once a month. I hate not being taken seriously especially as I consider myself a serious hobbyist. I can only imagine being 16 :/

Dont worry about it too much, there are aleays those types of people:/

Yeah..but i usually just flash a pic of my tank and that helps sellers know i'm not dumb lol

I don't think the fate of the business is resting on whether the guy finds someone who meets his approval for discus keeping.

Rather than assuming the guy is a weenie (although he could very well be), lets look at it from another angle. Maybe the guy has had this discus for years and has experienced the trials that come with this species. Maybe he's not going to give it up easily because of that, and the first impression you made wasn't up to par in his eyes.

Many old school fishkeepers still do few and far between water changes, so that's not surprising to hear. It doesn't make him an idiot though, just a person who hasn't come around with the times. He's obviously had enough gumption to operate a store so I wouldn't be so quick to judge.

Wow I don't know how that discus is staying healthy with care like that I would go In and tell the owner I was Fully prepared to save the discus from him. Once a month! you could easily pull up loads of info disputing his theory's on discus care I was just discussing in another thread how a lot of breeders do 100% water changes daily with their discus! I would have prob flipped out. Lol

Back
Top Bottom