Battling green water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nkaz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I have been battling green water for weeks now. I have done water changes every 2 days and cut back on feeding and light I even broke down and used an algae destroyer witch I don't like using and my water slightly clears for a few days and then green again.
I use an api master test kit and my water tests great exept nitrates are around 80 ppm when water is green and drops to about 20 ppm after a water change. If anyone can help or has any advice it would be appreciated

Hi I have been battling green water for weeks now. I have done water changes every 2 days and cut back on feeding and light I even broke down and used an algae destroyer witch I don't like using and my water slightly clears for a few days and then green again.

I use an api master test kit and my water tests great exept nitrates are around 80 ppm when water is green and drops to about 20 ppm after a water change. If anyone can help or has any advice it would be appreciated

There's a few things you can do.

1) buy lots of fast growing floating plants. Do a large water change and drop the plants in.

2) reduce the light duration.

3) ensure tank isn't receiving sunlight.

4) plant the tank with some live plants.

5) add a UV steriliser.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lots of nitrates..
How big is your tank and what filtration do you have on it??

What do you have stocked in there?

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Green water is algae....
Change water and reduce lighting...
The water changes alone will not work.

Purchase a UV sterilizer. They are awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Uv sterlizer is the way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks everyone for your responses and advice the tank I'm having issues with has been set up for more than 3 years it's a 55 gal with 2 red eared sliders a pair of kribs a pair of bushynose plecos and 5 scissortails as dither fish I'm running 2 hob aquatec 30 -60 filters and have had no issues until now
I also have 3 other tanks a 5 gal planted with a betta a 30 gallon heavily planted co2 injected with red cherry shrimp and about 50 bushynose juveniles and a 20 gal planted with 9 fancy guppies and 2 hillstream loaches witch are temporary in till I set up a tank just for them they like cooler water and current

I second Brooks on the UV.
A simple unit like 'green machine' will work for green water for sure.
Faster then any other technique.
Maine ay?
What part?
We have several members who have history or still live in Me.
I have family in York.
Talk to sinibotia here.
He is loach master(your hillstreams!!) and a Mainer himself!

Uv sterilizer is just not in the budget right now I'm gonna try adding a boat load of duckweed it should soak up some nitrates and my turtles will eat it I have no plants in the 55 cuz the turtles just destroy them
Yes I'm in Maine grew up in Portland now live in buxton just outside of Gorham prob 20 min from Portland I have a really good aquarium store 5 min from my house in gorham Easy Aquariums they are very knowledgeable and overall good people I recommend them to all fish keepers salt or fresh

Back
Top Bottom