Best way to add fish without causing a mini-cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azmodan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello! I was just wondering what's the best way to add a school of 8-10 fish to a tank without overloading the bioload and causing a mini-cycle (tank in question would be a 20 gal). Once the fish have finished quarantine should I do a gradual add (like 2+2+2+2 or 4+4) while constantly checking water parameters to determine when to add? Would it be recommended to piggyback several established filters on the tank to help deal with the increased bioload? And lastly, all I have right now to use as a quarantine tank is a 5 gal, is that too small for a temp quarantine for a school of 8 or so small tetras?

Thanks! (y)

How long has the tank been running?
What kind of fish are you adding?
What's in the tank now?

Of by monocycle you mean ammonia to fluctuate again. There is one simple solution with is gradual introduction. For example, tetras need to e in groups of 6, so the first week you might add half then the next week you add the next half (depending on the tank size of course)

With a large Bowfront tank of some sort you coul easily add a school of neon tetras in one shot

Not only is it about ammonia but it's about acclimation and settlement for your fish. For example a Betta sorority would not start well if you add in all Bettas at once. There would be territory problems since nobody established boundaries since everyone has been introduced at the same time

azmodan said:
Hello! I was just wondering what's the best way to add a school of 8-10 fish to a tank without overloading the bioload and causing a mini-cycle (tank in question would be a 20 gal). Once the fish have finished quarantine should I do a gradual add (like 2+2+2+2 or 4+4) while constantly checking water parameters to determine when to add? Would it be recommended to piggyback several established filters on the tank to help deal with the increased bioload? And lastly, all I have right now to use as a quarantine tank is a 5 gal, is that too small for a temp quarantine for a school of 8 or so small tetras?

Thanks! (y)

A 5 gallon is fine depending on the type of tetras you have. Neon and cardinal tetras are OK. Black and whiteskirts? Not so much

How long has the tank been running?
What kind of fish are you adding?
What's in the tank now?

Tank has only been running for about three weeks but most of the stuff inside was pulled from an existing tank, so my water has consistently tested well (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10 -- been checking about 3 times a week). I plan to add about 8-10 ember tetras. Right now I have two honey gouramis and two calico mollies, although the mollies will be getting rehomed before I get the ember tetras. I currently have a AquaClear 50 and a Tetra 10 filter running.

azmodan said:
Tank has only been running for about three weeks but most of the stuff inside was pulled from an existing tank, so my water has consistently tested well (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10 -- been checking about 3 times a week). I plan to add about 8-10 ember tetras. Right now I have two honey gouramis and two calico mollies, although the mollies will be getting rehomed before I get the ember tetras. I currently have a AquaClear 50 and a Tetra 10 filter running.

IMO, if you are moving the Mollies out on the same day (before adding the Tetras) you will be fine adding in the whole shoal of tiny little Ember Tetras all at once. Your tank is very young so just keep an eye on the toxin levels for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom