Best way to prepare water for water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahsteels83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering what other people use to prepare their water to put use when a water change is due

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just get the temp close, use Fluval water conditioner and then like 1tbs of salt per like 10-15g.

I don't prepare anything, I just turn on the tap and send the water to the tank with my aqueon water changer. Dose the whole tank with prime first

I just fill a 20 litre tub leave it in the house an then when I need it I use safe start plus aquarium salt, we have quite a lot of chlorine where we are,

I just fill a 20 litre tub leave it in the house an then when I need it I use safe start plus aquarium salt, we have quite a lot of chlorine where we are,

i guess letting the water sit is helping to remove the chlorine but this really isn't the right way to do it. Ppl who have well water usually do it this way. Especially if you have alot of chlorine you should be using Prime.

safe start is not a dechlorinator. Look into using Seachem Prime. The safe start isn't needed..its sold to help start/cycle a new tank but in my opinion it doesn't work. The aquarium salt is fine

I don't prepare anything, I just turn on the tap and send the water to the tank with my aqueon water changer. Dose the whole tank with prime first
I feel like its better to dose the water your adding first, plus I have a 150g tank and there is no way I'm putting in 150g worth of conditioner every time.

I feel like its better to dose the water your adding first, plus I have a 150g tank and there is no way I'm putting in 150g worth of conditioner every time.

Prime dosing is 1 capful for 50g, so 3 for a 150g. Nominal amount IMO.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Step 1: Fill 2 buckets with warmish tap water.

Step 2: Squirt 0.5ml worth of Prime in each one.

Step 3: Throw into tank.

Step 4: Repeat an ungodly amount of times.

I use a python so I have to dose the full tank..........

Last edited:
1. Squirt 1.5ml Prime into tank

2. Fill 5 gallon bucket and dump in tank twice

3. Squirt another 1.5 ml Prime into tank. (Total dose of 3.0 mL)

4. Add fertilizers

I only have a 29 gallon so dosing for the entire volume is not a big deal...buckets are getting kinds old though

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Same here.

I'll drain some in a Home Depot bucket using a regular siphon to rinse filters and stuff. And get some in a gallon jug to mix salts and buffer (we have terribly low ph and soft water).

your doing way more work than you need to, but we each do things in our own way. If you use prime like treeman said, you would only need 3 capfuls which is not a big deal

It sounds a cheaper way too, think il try that, our water is quite hard so would prime sort that out too?

It sounds a cheaper way too, think il try that, our water is quite hard so would prime sort that out too?

no. Prime removes chlorine and chloramines and detoxifies nitrite and nitrates. If you have hard alkaline water why not try african cichlids? that water is perfect for them

Iv managed ok so far iv four tanks! Iv been testing with strips but since being on here iv realised theyr not much good so I'm going to pick up the api kit today

I use flexible garden grow tubs. They're great for pouring. Basically I lay 3 on the floor and use a regular siphon to fill them all. I'll do an extra one to make it to 50%

When refilling I put one grow tub on the floor by the tank with treated tap water at the correct temp. I have a pump with a garden house that goes over the side of the tank and into a little clip. I turn the pump on then just keep topping the grow tub up using a sink bowl until the tank is full.

I bought a python but for some reason the company didn't care much for its overseas customers and I can't connect it to my tap despite the 'universal' adaptors that came with it.

We don't have it set up yet, we're still settling into our new house, but we've got it planned to use the Rubbermaid tubs, fill them with water and let them age a week. (Between water changes) Add a cheap heater and match the temperature to the tank.
This is for the brackish tanks though, we're also raising salinity so it's got a dual purpose to get the salt dissolved.

Back
Top Bottom