Betas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve2223

Aquarium Advice Regular
What temptures can betas tolerate? I see them in little jars in the LFS and I know the temp. Has to be below 70 how do they survive?
Thank you

Fish are not kept in fish stores with long term survival in mind. Their goal is to turn them over before their practices catch up with the fish.

In my experience low to mid 70s through mid 80s.

Room temperature is perfectly exceptable for bettas. When I was dating my wife she had a betta that lived 5 years until it got a tumor. That is the only fish she ever owned so she was a novice in every sense. She kept him in a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter no heater.

I have owned two Betas and find that they do better at around 80 degrees. I researched like crazy before I got my first one. Most of the advice on them I found said that high 70's to 82 degrees is best. Cooler water can lead to increased risk of disease. They are used to shallow, warm water in rice paddies. I feel so sorry for the fish in those tiny cups. They look so depressed and a lot of them are dead or almost dead when I see them. My local pet store keeps her's in larger size bowls at least and does twice a day water changes. She really cares about her fish.

Agree with wild roseofky. Bettas prefer warmer water. I have mine at 77-78F but that's only because I have a BN pleco, mountain cloud minnows, and dojo loaches in the same tank, and they like a cooler tank. So I compromise. But if a betta is kept alone or with other species that like higher temps, I would certainly keep them at 80-82F. They seem to do better and even be more active at higher temps.

I keep my bettas at 76 normally. I set up a seperate tank and put the temperature at 81 to breed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My tanks temps change with the seasons.

Things like warm and cool are all relative. This is the way I see it: there are 4 temp ranges for fish - hot, warm, cool, cold. Over 80 is hot, under 70 is cold, 75-80 is warm, 70-75 is cool. The natural temperature ranges for most fish allow them to comfortably exist in 2 of the 4 categories. Bettas no exception - warm or hot. Cool is okay but not somewhere I would keep a betta long term, though for a season it's proven to me not to be problematic.

Ideally, 76-78F for betta fish. No less than 74. I read that in the 80's can speed up their metabolism and shorten their life, so I make sure nothing over 78 with mine.

Yes warmer water shortens life span. However, there are a myriad of other variables that also can have quite an impact so for the most part that's a theoretical problem.

Mine quit eating under 68f. I've always done room temps because I know many of the tiny heaters fail. But I keep my room fairly warm. I have a 10yo Canary as well as 4 tanks. No heaters. No illness.

78-80f is def ideal. I do recommend heaters.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom