Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ff_emt2008

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone my girlfriend want to get a betta fish to put in my 55 gal fish but I'm not sure cause right now I have 2 bala sharks 7 platties 1 spotted catfish 1 Chinese algae eater and an zig zag eal. Will the betta hurt any of my fish or will the get along?

It's always hard to judge a betta. In my experience it's always best to keep them alone but some people have success.

I was always a cheerleader for having a Betta in a community. Well, he was okay for 2-3 months. Guess whose Betta is now living in his own 5 gallon? Because he ate a fry, took the jaw of one fish and took the eye of another.

I've kept bettas in both of my community 55gals for a very long time and never had an issue! But as mentioned it probably depends on the betta !

So just got the betta today it's a super delta betta and so far so good. Have yet to see it go after any of my fish and its just swimming around like a peaceful fish an it's made my girlfriend happy cause she has wanted one. Also got a stick catfish cause it looks cool and will eat more algae then my Chinese algae eater

The betta and stick algae eater are very happy. Betta looks awesome in the tank and the stick algae eater is a lot of fun to find in the tank. Makes it for a family adventure. Needless to say the girlfriend is extremely happy. What a wonderful late valentine's day present. I have never seen or heard of a super delta male betta,I am glad I waited to find the right fish.

I have a baby betta and had her in my 55 gal for a few days. As far as getting along, she did OK, but I think the current from the filter was too much for her. I put her back in her 5 gal with some little friends and she seems much happier now.

My brother had male bettas together for a long time. The literature and some other people will say it is impossible, but it is not.

Bettas develop a territorial behavior only if: confined into a small area for two long (like the puddles where they were originally captured from on low tide/dry season...or a tiny cup), reach adult/sexually mature age AND stay in a place that triggers the behavior.

If you got a young male that did not spend a lot of time alone on his cup AND your aquarium is big enough to take away the possibility of him feeling "confined", he will not develop territorial behavior.

OTOH, the risk is, for most, pricey (due to the possibility of expensive fish being injured or killed)

Good luck with your betta.

Back
Top Bottom