Betta Fish Companions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biocalluna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two male betta fish, each in their own 5.5 gallon heated tanks. One of these tanks gets more sunlight than the other, and it tends to have a bit of an algae problem because of this. I don't think this algae problem is something a bottom feeder wouldn't be able to help control, though.

Are there particular bottom feeders that make good tank mates for betta fish?

I've never had an algae eater before - are they able to filter around tank gravel, or would that need to be removed for them to safely eat?

Oh, I should add - the fish tank that gets more sun houses a betta seems rather mild compared to the other one, so I don't think he'd attack a fish that was out of his way.

BUT it's a small tank and he often goes to the bottom to hide out in his castle

A snail? I have one with my betta
that (or a type of pleco) was one of my first thoughts. Size-wise a snail would be perfect - are they okay in a heated tank? Would I have to swap out the pebbles for something else?

How "big" is the tank?

each betta has its own 5.5 gallon tank - they measure about 16 inches long x 8.5 inches wide x 10 inches deep

The tanks are both heated and have filters (the picture on top is Pebbles - the other is Captain)

Attachments

• 20170831_201650.jpg
    20170831_201650.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 79
  • 20170831_201706.jpg
    20170831_201706.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 69
I'm glad your tanks are at least 2.5 gallons. ��

Otocinclus would be a great addition to the tank, if your betta is okay with them. They're really good at eating algae. Only one might be able to be added as they do have a bio load.
Nerite snails will devour your green algae and they're also pretty cool looking. Their shells will give them protection from your betta and they eat all types of algae except black beard and blue green.
Amano shrimp are the ones you want if you want a shrimp who's constantly trying to clean your tank. They love algae, and can survive only on algae, but will go nuts when you feed your betta. They'll fight each other over the leftover food on the ground and search tirelessly for all the food. Although, they don't have anything to scratch or bite with so they can't hurt each other. You can probably have five in there and you still won't notice any change in your bio load. They're bigger so your betta may leave them alone. They don't like temperature of 79 or above though.
If your betta will allow, go for cherry shrimp. Very beautiful, and love eating. Like all shrimp, they have negligent bio load so you can have ten or more in there. They do breed in fresh water, and the shrimplets wouldn't really survive your bettas' cravings, but the adults will be safe from getting eaten. They're also very sensitive to temperatures above 79.
I highly recommend getting a piece of Malaysian driftwood for each tank, with some Java moss glued to it, if you want to go the shrimp way. Also get some almond leaves. The tannins from them will soften the water and release stuff that the shrimp as well as your betta will love.
Here's one that will definitely work but I wouldn't try it as my first choice. Ghost shrimp. They're underrated and usually thought of as food for bigger fish. These guys are scavengers and won't touch your algae as long as they can steal food from your betta. They are, however, great at cleaning up the leftover food that went on the floor. They also don't require the addition of wood, moss, and leaves. But a word of caution, they can bite! They might "taste" your betta to see if it's dead.

Otocinclus would be a great addition to the tank, if your betta is okay with them. They're really good at eating algae. Only one might be able to be added as they do have a bio load.
Nerite snails will devour your green algae and they're also pretty cool looking. Their shells will give them protection from your betta and they eat all types of algae except black beard and blue green.
Amano shrimp are the ones you want if you want a shrimp who's constantly trying to clean your tank. They love algae, and can survive only on algae, but will go nuts when you feed your betta. They'll fight each other over the leftover food on the ground and search tirelessly for all the food. Although, they don't have anything to scratch or bite with so they can't hurt each other. You can probably have five in there and you still won't notice any change in your bio load. They're bigger so your betta may leave them alone. They don't like temperature of 79 or above though.
If your betta will allow, go for cherry shrimp. Very beautiful, and love eating. Like all shrimp, they have negligent bio load so you can have ten or more in there. They do breed in fresh water, and the shrimplets wouldn't really survive your bettas' cravings, but the adults will be safe from getting eaten. They're also very sensitive to temperatures above 79.
I highly recommend getting a piece of Malaysian driftwood for each tank, with some Java moss glued to it, if you want to go the shrimp way. Also get some almond leaves. The tannins from them will soften the water and release stuff that the shrimp as well as your betta will love.
Here's one that will definitely work but I wouldn't try it as my first choice. Ghost shrimp. They're underrated and usually thought of as food for bigger fish. These guys are scavengers and won't touch your algae as long as they can steal food from your betta. They are, however, great at cleaning up the leftover food that went on the floor. They also don't require the addition of wood, moss, and leaves. But a word of caution, they can bite! They might "taste" your betta to see if it's dead.
Arent otos supposed to be in a 10g and up?

Oh yeah, I do my research before getting new pets :) I'd love a bigger tank someday for guppies or something!

I was looking into nerite snails a minute ago but apparently they're escape artists? Which is kinda funny except my cat might wanna taste...

I'll check out the shrimp though! I didn't even consider that. Pebbles is pretty chill so I don't think he'd mind shrimp but Captain is a bit aggressive sometimes. He might be better with a snail.

Thanks!

Oh yeah, I do my research before getting new pets :) I'd love a bigger tank someday for guppies or something!

I was looking into nerite snails a minute ago but apparently they're escape artists? Which is kinda funny except my cat might wanna taste...

I'll check out the shrimp though! I didn't even consider that. Pebbles is pretty chill so I don't think he'd mind shrimp but Captain is a bit aggressive sometimes. He might be better with a snail.

Thanks!

I suggest Cory catfish or snails. BUT...... Because the betta has established his territory you should remove him and rearrange the tank if you are adding anything. Let them settle then add him back. I tried with one of my bettas and he killed everything. My other bettas I did the remove and rearrange and they accepted all of the tank Mates

Back
Top Bottom