Betta sorority questions:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just set up my first betta sorority with a ten gallon i had sitting around. I made a video of the tank:

YouTube - Betta Sorority Tank (10 Gallon)
i just had a few questions:

1.) how does my tank look? :D
2.) can i add any more bettas? (4 in there already, got them yesterday 1-30-11)
3.) if i can add more, how many more?
4.) should i have an odd number of bettas?
5.) does it seem like i have or am doing anything wrong?

thanks!
JOMA

Your tank looks great! :) A lot of places for the females to hide and a bunch of aeration, good job ;)

I wouldnt add anymore bettas, 4 should be enough in a 10 gallon. I must advise you, females can get just as aggressive as males towards each other (I guess It depends on each personality of them), so have a back up plan if things start getting bad.

You seem to be doing everything right so far, Just make sure to do weekly partial water changes, Having a backup plan, and Feeding them 1-2 times a day, then you should be good ;)

Looks good to me. Lots of good cover to break up sight lines in case of aggression.

I wouldn't add any more fish. You're pushing it with four females in a 10g. IME, they actually grow bigger bodies than the males.

Odd numbers don't seem to be very important. I've found that keeping either one or three or more seems to work. With two, one always seems to beat up the other.

You could try some ghost shrimp, they are a great bottom feeder and easy to replace. But you do have a 50/50 chance of the female bettas eating them. If they do not get eaten, you could try the more cooler shrimp like amano or Red cherry

so i couldnt add cherry barbs or something like that?

what about snails? i heard they clean up pretty well.

A nerite snail would work in that setup, but Dont add it until algae configuration starts up to give him an algae supply or you could feed him algae wafers

Apple snails put out a big bioload. I would stay away from them. I don't know about nerites.

You're maxed out on fish. Those bettas will get several inches long and will need their space. You're pushing it in a 10g already.

i have a gerbil in a 20 gallon long, if i switched the fish from the 10 to the 20, would i have a whole lot more room for fish it would it not make much difference?

A 20L is better than a 10g, but it's not a free pass to load up on fish. With a 20L you could add some cories.

a quick update on the sorority, its going great! just after a few days the fighting has seamed to have ceased. The 3 blue ones especially kept going at it but in the end the biggest one of the 3 seems to have become the dominant one. there is only minimal fin damage to even the worst of all the fish. i couldnt be happier :D i just hope one of the bettas doesnt all of a sudden snap and go nuts loll.

Back
Top Bottom