Betta tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessiNoel21

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What can I put in with my new baby betta?

Tank size: 15 gallon(6 months old)
Temp: 72-80 depends on how hot it gets outside
Ph: 7.2
Filter: Aquaclear 20 with baffle
Planted

iPhone 5s has taking over lol

I hope this helps

Bettas are laid back and don't swim fast...so you would want fish that do not have a tendency to fin nip, also a specie that does not look like another betta.

Bettas don't mind living alone, but if you want added attractions, there is always cool looking shrimp and they help keep the bottom clean. Or maybe some small tetras or rasboros...but I don't know betta compatibility on those

My betta is in with dwarf cory cats and all is well in that tank

It varies betta to betta and how aggressive they are. We had luck with an African dwarf frog with one of ours. Another one had to be all alone. Then one we had was with some neon tetras for a while and was good for a year or so then a of a sudden started attacking them so we moved them to our community tank.

Definitely avoid things with big fins. Guppies are bad. Like the previous poster mentioned tetras are ok and look for fast movers. I would add hiding spots/lots of plants. And also like previous poster said bottom feeders are good. Even one that has been with something for a long time can turn and attack so I wouldn't spend too much $ and I wouldn't get too attached just in case.

Some people have amazing betas that never attack and are awesome in a community tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well I am figuring since he is still a baby 9 weeks old. If introduce them now he will be okay with them. I have 5 gallon back up tank just in case things don't work. I got ghost shrimp so we will see.

Well turns out I can't have shrimp cause my tap water has copper. The way I found out is I woke up to all 10 ghost shrimp I got yesterday dead. I even drip acclimated them for 5 hours.

BN can sometimes get aggressive. My sure if the fins on the betta might make him more aggressive. I was just on a thread about that here.

Some tetras might be ok- the short finned ones.

I had luck with an African dwarf frog with one of mine :)

You could have a school of 8 neons, cardinals, rummynoses, something like that. And maybe a shoal of 6 corys and a couple mystery snails. 15g is a good size :)

Definitely male :) I am gonna try neons and Cories just have to wait for LFS to get them in stock. Snails are a no go copper in my tap water.

Ok I know I have not been on in awhile but I am wondering what else I can put in a 5 gallon with my Betta :). The guy in the 15 has a school of neons and pack of Pygmy Cories. And my guy in the 5 only has plants lol he was in a tank with Glo lites at the store but I don't have room right now for a bigger tank. Thank you for the help. And btw snails or shrimp are a no go cause I have copper in my water.

Nothing else would be recommended in the 5, unless you can buy and supplement enough distilled water to keep a few shrimp.

Most of the fish tiny enough need too many companions to fit in a 5.

It's possible and people do it, but it'd require massive maintenance and the fish might survive but not thrive.

Try some wonderful plants!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I keep my tanks very clean and I have plants. I have to see if my LFS could get me lemons Tertas .ADFs don't last long in my tanks even with me target feeding them. I have a RO/ DI unit but no where to install it.

Even if you want to push it on your stocking, lemon tetras are way too big in my opinion.

I was talking with our LFS recently about what to go in a 10 with a betta. They didn't recommend anything bigger than the smaller neons. Emerald rasboras and some nano fish were their recommendations. The tetras the size of the lemon tetras were absolute no they said, due to fin nipping and stress.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I have my male betta in a 10 gallon with a ramshorn snail and 8 red cherry shrimp.

You could also get some smaller corys. 4-5 would be just fine in a 15 gallon, either pygmy (preferably) or julii.

I have Cories in my 15 I am looking for ideas for my 5 but snails and shrimp are a no go due to trance of copper in my water.

Trace copper isn't bad. Snails and shrimp need a tiny bit of copper for their natural body chemistry to function just like we do. Have you had bad luck with inverts in the past?

Back
Top Bottom