Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetness8t5

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't know if I posted this in the correct link so please redirect me if I didn't.

Here goes:
My friend bought a male clown finned betta(I think thats the name) today and a female one, put them in the same tank.
The male one keeps flaring up, hasn't attacked per se.. but is it OK to leave them in the same tank still?
Could he be courting.. because from my understanding, I thought you could put male and females together.

THANKS!

No, you should not house males and females together except during breeding habits. The male will more than likely kill the female.

"Clown finned"....could you be thinking of crowntail?

I agree with Fishyfanatic - males and females do not make good tankmates. The male could kill the female if she is not ready to mate. I have never mated bettas, but I've read that the pair should be introduced through a tank partition before a mating is attempted. That way, if one is not ready, then the other one does not harm it through aggression. But in any case, the male and female should be separated before any injury occurs.

Just in case a spawning did take place, the male will build a bubblenest and guard the eggs. The female should definitely be removed from that tank or the male will probably kill her as he defends the nest.

I'd have to agree with the above advice. Male bettas should not be kept with other females or males due to their aggressive nature. I do think you mean crown tailed, they are a beautiful betta for sure.

the betta thing

the male betta is just showing off so that the female we be attracted to him just like a peacock

Back
Top Bottom