BGK growth and feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, I'm back from college for the break, and had a few questions I wanted to throw out to you all now that I have time for internet leisure.

For you BGK keepers out there, just how much are you feeding your Black Ghost Knife? Mine's now somewhere between 8 and 9 inches and he's still getting the same single cube of frozen bloodworms a night as he was when he was 4 inches. It seems to me that the time has come to icrease his food ration (though he's certainly far from skinny so I know he's not starving). However, doubling the amount of food he gets in a night seems a little much. When do I need to start ramping up his intake, and how would you recommend going about it?

More details: He really gets more like a bloodworm cube 5 or 6 nights out of the week, with one night off and maybe one night every couple of weeks where I try to get him to eat some other frozen treat, such as glassworms, beefheart, brine shrimp, daphnia, or whatever else, which he usually just picks at (leaving a lot of cleaning to do in the morning and a lot of uneaten food in the freezer). He also gets a sinking carnivore pellet tossed in on occaision, though this isn't that regular--and to be honest, the plecostomus eats those for all I know.

Currently, the idea I have for increasing his food intake is to feed a bloodworm cube along with some sinking food (I have carnivore wafers, shrimp pellets, and bottom feeder (omnivorous) wafers, all of which he ate regularly prior to me making the jump to frozen foods somewhere around a year ago) on some sort of mixed schedule (say, a bloodworm cube every day with some sinking food every few days) and slowly increasing the regularity of the sinking foods until it seems like he's eating two bloodworm cubes worth of food then switching to that. This would obviously take place over a long period of time, say, the next year, or longer even if his growth doesn't stay as quick as it has been. Any thoughts on this plan?

Really, just any general thoughts on BGK growth and feeding would be appreciated.

Tank information for the curious: He's in a 58 gallon tank with one tankmate, a very fat 6-7" plecostomus I took in from my mother, after she, in an ill-advised move, bought him for her 15 gallon tank. The plecostomus gets an algae wafer a night, and the occaisional slice of cucumber when I'm feeling generous.

I don't think I would feed more frozen bloodworms Hannah, but I might try feeding some live foods.

Feed a portion of live brine shrimp every so often. They will stay alive for quite some time and not foul your tank. The shells will be an excellent source of roughage for the BGK.

Earthworms are a terrific source of protein too.

MIne is only 4-5 inch now but he will slurp up a frozen bloodworm cube like spagetti . I switch up between frozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp and a frozen carinvore treat ( beef heart ,shrimp, turkey heart , daphinia and algae) . He will also eat tropical flakes as well as freezedried worms and shrimp in the day time - he doesn't seem nocturnal he is around for a few hours in the day as well . I give the frozen foods after the rest of the tank is feed and the lights are out except for red LEDs to see the nightshift. my BGK is only young and new but the angels seem to like the feeding as they have doubled their size in 2 months . Have you tried to train him for hand feeding ? I started a couple of nights ago and so far he will come about 2 inches from my hand to take food.

welcome back hannah, i believe i got my BGK around the same time you did.

here's my experience since your absence...

back in sept (?) i saw a tiny BGK with a bunch of clown and african knives. the BGKs, all smaller were getting roughed up, and the sore wanted to get rid of them quickly, so they started selling them for $10

though i already had a BGK for a few months now, out of pity, i bought one of the tinier BGKs, and placed him in a 20 gallon, (since I knew my older BGK, who dwarfed him 5.5" to 3"

the smaller BGK in the 20 gallon had no compition for food, while the older, and larger BGK had a big pleco, and a tankful of fish who might have awoken, smelling bloodworms.

both were fed the same amount of food (i buy sally's bloodworms in 4 oz sheets, cheaper for me, i go through a pack in about a week with 2 BGKs) actually, if anything, the BGK in the 55 with the other fish, i would give some more (stupid pleco).

just in the begining of december, i was doing a PWC, and realized the BGK in the 20 gallon had outgrown the older, and once larger one in the 55 gallon.

i guess my point is, more food = more rapid growth. if you'r satisfied with your BGKs growth in the past couple of months, keep him on the same feeding routine.

the one formerly living in the 20 gallon grew 3.5-4 inches in 3.5 months on 2oz of bloodworms a week. he now lives in the 55 gallon, while the other one switched to the 20 gallon. (i plan on putting them both in a 125 gallon in a few months)

*note, the bloodworms in the sheets may have a bit more frozen water in them than cubes

Back
Top Bottom