Bio wheel annoyance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m0stUniQue

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've never really had any complaints about the bio wheel filter except for this: after a waterchange when I fill my filter with water than plug it in, once the flow resumes it shoots a bunch of debris into my aquarium. And I was wondering if there are any solutions to this problem, or if any one else experiences this?

How often do you rinse out the filter housing itself? That's where all the gunk is coming from.

hmm.. I've never had this problem with mine. Are you swishing your filters regularly?

hmm.. I've never had this problem with mine. Are you swishing your filters regularly?

swishing my filters? I have biowheel also, I haven't done anything other than water changes for the 5 months I've had the tank (new to aquariums)

You would be shocked to see how much debris accumulates in the filter housing itself- this should be rinsed out atleast once every month or so. The filter media (not the wheels) should be swished atleast every other week to every week depending stocking situation in used tank water.

Oh alright I had no idea about cleaning the housing aha newbie mistake, I'll make sure to do clean out the housing tomorrow, Thanks guys :)

Back
Top Bottom