Black dimond blasting sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjdave

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. Another question sorry. I'm useing the black blasting sand in my tank. I read a post that said you should put a drop or 2 of dawn dish liquid in as I rinse. Is the true? I just don't seem safe to me but maybe it needs in I don't know. Please let me know. Thanks David

It said something about a slight flim on to of the water when you are done if not. I'm looking for that post now to reread it again. Sorry so long to reply just been a wild few days. David

I have to go with delapool on this.
The only thing to do when rinsing is just to use plenty of water

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the input. I got the info from another forum board I think I will not visit again. It just sounded crazy go me. Thanks for the right information. David

You might have read one of my posts on the surface film. It does not appear to be the norm for this substrate. I have read the post about adding Dawn as well (of course followed by heavy rinsing). It's probably safe to do but I was intending to use it for my shrimp tank and if anything went wrong (deaths, decreased breeding, etc) then I would always have the addition of the detergent in the back of my mind as a culprit. I did not want to take a chance with it.
It's pretty cheap so perhaps you should give it a try. As I mentioned, the film does not appear to be a consistent observation. For me, I have about 49 lbs of it sitting in a bag in the garage. And I have some pavers along a path that need leveling...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry if I misunderstood maybe I miss understood the post. My brain is a scary place. It just sounded scary to me to put dawn inside a tank. Thanks for clearing that up. Plus can anybody tell me why I cannot access the search bar? David

Back
Top Bottom