Black hair algae help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnlucky5

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys have hair algae problem any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yayyy algae! Need to know more about your tank to appropriately give advice:

Tank size and stock? Live plants? What sort of lights do you have and how long do you run them? Any indirect sunlight? What are your water parameters and what is your PWC schedule?

Finally, got a pic of the algae?

Tbh, if the hair algae doesn't affect the view of the aquarium and doesn't affect the plants, there's nothing wrong. If it covers your wood like mine, 4-5 otoclinclus will clean it up in a few weeks, however, those hair algae that are extremely thick or long will not be eaten and have to manually cleaned off. If it is stubborn like on the wood, I recommend you use a sponge to scrub it off. Hope it helped :)

Sent from my LG-P880 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Proper ferts, raise light fixture, more / larger weekly water changes, short photoperiod (6-8 hours), keep tank clean, don't over stock or over feed.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Controlling Algae

Hey guys have hair algae problem any advice?

Hello john...

I had this stuff in a couple of my 55 G tanks. I introduced Hornwort and Anacharis (Elodea densa) into the tanks. Floating plants take in large amounts of nutrients through their leaves and Anacharis gives off a natural chemical that most kinds of algae don't tolerate, so it apparently inhibits its growth. Without a food source, the algae stopped growing. It took some time, but I have very little visible algae in those tanks. The floating plants have to be thinned every week or two or they will cover the surface of the water.

B

Back
Top Bottom