Blue crayfish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maddybrat

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello. I want to keep a blue cray fish in the future. :) maybe soon. Just all depends. I have a few questions though.

-What is the minimum tank size?
- what all should be provided in their diet?
- How long do they live?
- any other tips or bits of knowledge would greatly be appriciated.

Thanks,
Maddybrat.

I had a blue crayfish, unfortunately I had to trade him due to him getting a hold of some of my fish that are at the bottom during the night. I would say no less then a 20 long maybe a 30 as they do grow. They really like caves and will move gravel and I'm sure sand to make like a nest. They eat pretty much anything. I fed veggies, pellets, bloodworms and brine shrimp.

Just make sure you have tankmates that won't fall victim to the claw. They remove the evidence fairly well.

I was looking at some electric blue crays at the shop, they are pretty cool. I wouldn't put one in less than a 20g and as mentioned above, be very careful with tankmates.

I actually ended up bringing home 3 dwarf orange CPO's, you might want to look into those if you want something more community friendly.

I had a blue cray in a life science classroom (55g tank) with a bunch of guppies. The cray ate all the guppies. :(
As for tankmates I would say something fast and active...

Ya most small tetras sleep at the bottom if the tank so they come as easy pickins for the crayfish. I prefer to stick to my Cory cats on the bottom. Or you could look at rcs as an alternative.

I was looking at some electric blue crays at the shop, they are pretty cool. I wouldn't put one in less than a 20g and as mentioned above, be very careful with tankmates.

I actually ended up bringing home 3 dwarf orange CPO's, you might want to look into those if you want something more community friendly.

Wow! tell us more! I was under the impression that CPO's were super aggressive. At least that is what I've heard via these internets. Any pics? overall ambience of your tank that you would like to share?

Wow! tell us more! I was under the impression that CPO's were super aggressive. At least that is what I've heard via these internets. Any pics? overall ambience of your tank that you would like to share?

They act aggressive like larger crays, but they are too small to do much damage. I have had them take small chunks out of panda cory fins, but that was my fault for keeping them together in a temporary tank of only 10 gallons. In a bigger tank where there was more room for the corys to avoid them, it probably would be fine.

Most LFSs don't carry them.... But SM and HN1 do (occasionally)... You can get them online from a lot of different places.

I've got a bunch also (ended up getting more, lol) but I'm more interested in breeding them selling them at this point, although I plan to thin them out after I get a better understanding of their process. :)

Compared to electric blues, they are about half the price usually. Electric blues are often sold for approx 20-25$ in the stores and CPO's about half of that if you actually found some stocked somewhere.

Would tiger barbs be able to remain alive with a blue crayfish? Jw...
Yes, but in a tank bigger than 10 gallon, like severum mama said:
They act aggressive like larger crays, but they are too small to do much damage. I have had them take small chunks out of panda cory fins, but that was my fault for keeping them together in a temporary tank of only 10 gallons. In a bigger tank where there was more room for the corys to avoid them, it probably would be fine.
Which tank were you thinking of putting the tiger bards in? If you were going to put them in the 29g with the convicts then you might have some aggression issues.

Well my plan is to possibly re-home the convicts, get the crayfish and I wanted to know if I could put tiger barbs in with the crayfish?

Back
Top Bottom