Blue Lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noelllll

Aquarium Advice Activist
I saw an ad on kijiji and someone is selling blue lobsters. I would LOVE to get one of them they look so cool. Right now in my tank i have:
Molly
Red/Blue Columbian Tetra
3 Neon Tetras
2 Zebra Danios

Does anyone know if it would be safe to put a lobster in without having all my fish eaten?

You would probably be ok for awhile, but the Neons are the most at risk. Personally I wouldn't take that risk if I were you. You could look for a Dwarf Orange Crayfish though! They have stunning color and will stay at a size that they pose no threat to your fish :)

You would probably be ok for awhile, but the Neons are the most at risk. Personally I wouldn't take that risk if I were you. You could look for a Dwarf Orange Crayfish though! They have stunning color and will stay at a size that they pose no threat to your fish :)

Hm well I have a few plants and a rock in the corner that the neon tetras could swim through and hide if need be. There's also some floating plants at the top. All the other fish should be okay though? I was just worried that the lobster would be super aggressive and I'd wake up the next morning with no fish.

Most likely your fish will be ok, especially if it is well fed. However your plants will probably end up as casualties.

I have owned crayfish before and some were fine with other fish when we'll fed others would wait until dark then go on a killing spree so personally I view having fish with a crayfish as a risk

I have a blue lobster in my tank and the only time he's got another fish is when the fish died of other causes. I've never actually seen mine act agressive or deliberately attack another fish. Most people think I'm the minority, but I'm just saying what I see in my tank.

Ahh I'm still kind of leaning towards getting it..
I feel like my fish will do okay.
My only concerns are the floating plants being eaten and I have a little rock cave I think he might knock that over maybe it's not very secure.

I've never seen mine eat any plants. He sometimes cuts them as he climbs up/down them, but I've never seen him eat them.

Okay greatt. I think I'm going to pick one up then. Just have to glue my rocks together to be sure there's no mess. Thanks for all the help!

Note: Crayfish is capable of killing and eating most smaller bottom dwelling species especially during the night. Be careful when you are selecting other species to go along with this species. They have to be each given their own hiding spots, and the tank must be decorated with that in mind. They are also good escape artists too. If there is a space to get out between the tank and lid they will climb any plant or aquarium tube to get out.

Is that true?? Anyone ever seen or heard of that happening? I have an opening in the back of my hood should I be worried about that..?

I do know the neons I have owned lose their color and drop to the bottom at night. good luck with them and him. Danios are active and swim at the top so may be ok. If everyone is in constant stress or danger though I don't view it as a good plan. Just me.

Also neons and zebra danios are schooling fish and will not be completely happy or in their prime unless you put them in a group of 6 or more. Just another thought.

Crayfish are predatory but there are always exceptions. Danios generally stay near the upper areas so they should be fine. I think the floating plants would be okay as long as they are out of reach. If there are any cords or tubing that they can reach, then there's always the chance they it will be used for climbing.

It can happen I had 2 tanks on a stand one on top of the other ( just the way the stand was) and a crayfish escaped from the top tank and crawled down into the second tank and killed my african dwarf frog both tank had those stock black plastic lids

Okay so I got the lobster! Traded both of my mollies for it so that solves that problem. He's been in there for a couple days now and so far he's just been hiding in the rock cave the whole time not really moving much at all. The only thing I'm still worried about is climbing out. Would it be bad at all if I found or made something to cover the opening at the back of the tank?

I'll post pictures in a few days it's still not blue yet but I see a few blue spots coming in can't wait till its all blue :)

Awesome. Mine took about a month before he started walking around, an another two months before he really became comfortable. Now he literally runs laps around my 55G all day.... All day every day. No matter what time I look at the tank he is running circles around the border, climbing, and jumping off of the decorations. He's by far the most entertaining thing in my 55G.

He's already walking around a bit more now trying to climb up the corner of the tank lol
Any ideas on a DIY way of preventing him from getting out??
I managed to get a couple pictures.
Still pretty small maybe 2" and is brownish with dark blue spots..
Also still noo trouble at all with the other fish. They even swim right by him. Hopefully that doesn't change :)

Attachments

• lobster1.jpg
    lobster1.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 115
  • lobster2.jpg
    lobster2.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 117
Around what size do they color up he looks exactly like the non blue kind I used to have?

Back
Top Bottom