Blue Lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Around what size do they color up he looks exactly like the non blue kind I used to have?

I have noo idea all I've heard is "when they mature". No idea how long that's supposed to be. Did yours ever turn blue? Or was it supposed to? The guy who sold me him said he's about 2-3 weeks old and should turn a neon blue in less than a month.. I'll keep this thread updated if anyone's interested with how this guy grows up :)

On a side note I found a way on google on how to cover up the back opening at the top of the tank and I just put some sticker velcro on the back and side of the tank and on this ?rubber? material and stuck it on the top. It's pretty steady and I don't think he'll be able to push through if he climbs up there. The only weak spot is by the filter but at his size right now I can't see him being able to make that climb.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 85
Hm how so? The hole is 2-3" deep and goes across the whole width. I like the idea though as maybe a more permanent solution. Would you mind explaining how you did it?

I just had a hole that was about 2" in radius... I'd go with your original plan then

No mine were just some old mud bugs I found while fishing that's why I was surprised by how similar they looked

Just think about when the fish are docile and lay on the bottom or close the lobster could nip at them.

Hm how so? The hole is 2-3" deep and goes across the whole width. I like the idea though as maybe a more permanent solution. Would you mind explaining how you did it?

Not sure what your hood/canopy looks like, but would something like this work for you? Plastic strips that can be cut to fit around filters, heaters, etc.

Just think about when the fish are docile and lay on the bottom or close the lobster could nip at them.

Yeah that's definitely possible but to be honest I think my danios will be fine maybe the neon tetras may get eaten but that's a small price to pay for the lobster. But so far it seems like he is more scared of them every time they swim by he quickly backs up into his cave. I'm sure as he grows he won't be as scared so we'll see. Just going to leave them in there for now see how they get along for the next couple weeks.

Also I've seen those plastic straps online but the pet smart in my town doesn't have any and I don't have a cc to buy online so I pretty much need to construct something I think. I like the electric tape idea. I was thinking of laying a bunch of strips of tape together the right size and cut around the filter/heater/air tube then tape it all to the tank. Does that make sense?

You can use the tape but I would be concerned about moisture getting on the adhesive side and dripping back into the tank. You could put plastic wrap on the parts of the adhesive side that won't be sticking to the hood.
At a hardware store you might want to check out acrylic / plexiglas. I believe tryout can cut if by scoring straight lines with a utility knife and then bending it until it snaps.
Or look for eggcrate. That is the white plastic grid material used in commercial light fixtures and is easy to "break" into the size you need.

Either of these materials can be taped to the hood.

image-4147273306.jpg

Yeah, how much did you pay for it, did you order it? They are really cool

I have one of these guys, he's an absolute delight, full of personality. He's in a 5 gallon whilst he grows with 7 young platy fry at the moment. Watching him try to catch them is possibly the funniest thing I've seen in an aquarium other than my apple snail in my main tank crawling over the air block and being shot up into the sir by the bubbles.

He's already walking around a bit more now trying to climb up the corner of the tank lol
Any ideas on a DIY way of preventing him from getting out??
I managed to get a couple pictures.
Still pretty small maybe 2" and is brownish with dark blue spots..
Also still noo trouble at all with the other fish. They even swim right by him. Hopefully that doesn't change :)

I've only seen blue lobsters as blue, I didn't know that they turn blue, I assumed they were always blue. Every crayfish I've had (4 different types), when young, has always looked like a miniature version of the adult. But I've never had a blue one.

To me, that looks like a marbled crayfish.

Mine was bright blue, but since his moult he's a more greeny blue with blue claws

You can use the tape but I would be concerned about moisture getting on the adhesive side and dripping back into the tank. You could put plastic wrap on the parts of the adhesive side that won't be sticking to the hood.
At a hardware store you might want to check out acrylic / plexiglas. I believe tryout can cut if by scoring straight lines with a utility knife and then bending it until it snaps.
Or look for eggcrate. That is the white plastic grid material used in commercial light fixtures and is easy to "break" into the size you need.

Either of these materials can be taped to the hood.

Ahh didn't think about that. Thanks for the heads up! I I'm going to have to run to a hardware store one of these days and see what they have.

I didn't buy him I saw an ad on kijiji and traded my two mollies(who were too big for my tank) for him :)

Also I've heard before that when they're still young they're not blue yet and they grow into their color as they grow. I hope he turns blue the guy said it's an Electric Blue Lobster and should turn a neon blue.

He's still scared of all the other fish in the tank, even the neons haha. I actually saw him this morning take a swipe at one of the Colombians but I'm pretty sure because it was in his way and he was just trying to get through the plants.

So I've officially decided it's okay for him to eat whatever he wants in the tank and if he empties out all the fish then ill be able to just get fish that are known to survive with lobsters. But as of right now it looks like the danios own the tank lol

Most likwly

Hm yeah eh.. I may need to get them anyways I've noticed the lobster eyeing down one of the Colombians and trying to make his way over to snatch him up. The Colombians are too big for my tank anyways. I got an offer to trade them for some Red Shrimp and would rather see the Colombians live..

Here's a little video of my buddy walking around haha
No casualties yet everyone seems to be getting along just fine! :)
Anyone know how long it'll be before he starts to turn blue? One person told me about a month and another said it'll be at least a year..

Back
Top Bottom