Blue ram questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How long has the beta been with the gourami?

3 days.

They swim past each other all the time and nothing happens. I can move the betta to a small 2 gallon tank but I think that's to small for him.

Angelfish and rams in a 26-gallon? Nope. Especially mating pairs of both species...heck no!

A betta and a dwarf gourami? Nope. They are both labyrinth fish that will compete for the same water column, and everything associated with it.

I would go with 8 cardinal tetras, 2 German rams, a male and a female, and 6 marbled hatchet fish. That would make for a clean colorful tank.

David

David

Thanks for the suggestion! I've never heard of the hatchet fish ill have to check them out.

Could I still have a Cory cat or two and a pleco with that stock you suggested ?

Well 3 days isn't enough time to know. Mabye a few months or so, or up to a year. But they most Likly will fight. Sorry to be harsh, but you need to fix your stock before adding thing

Well 3 days isn't enough time to know. Mabye a few months or so, or up to a year. But they most Likly will fight. Sorry to be harsh, but you need to fix your stock before adding thing

I'll move the betta if the two fight.

Could I still have a Cory cat or two and a pleco with that stock you suggested ?

Keeping cories and rams together is not a problem. The problem comes in when there's not enough of a footprint to house them both. Rams will most likely lay their eggs somewhere on the bottom, keeping every other fish far away. If you had cories in the same tank, where would they go?

What kind of pleco?

David

Keeping cories and rams together is not a problem. The problem comes in when there's not enough of a footprint to house them both. Rams will most likely lay their eggs somewhere on the bottom, keeping every other fish far away. If you had cories in the same tank, where would they go?

What kind of pleco?

David

Here's a pic of my tank.

image-651723470.jpg

There's about 3 in behind the cave looking things and the Cory's could go in the cave, behind it, by the shark tooth, or around the plant, depending on where the rams territory is. Would that possibly work?

It's an albino pleco.

In a tank that size, the rams will claim the entire bottom. They'll do so as soon as the fry hatches, but not necessarily while they are taking care of the eggs. A 26-gallon is almost the same in length as it is in height, just not good for cories and rams, in my humble opinion.

Here's a pic of my breeding rams.

David

Attachments

• PICT0477.jpg
    PICT0477.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 61
In a tank that size, the rams will claim the entire bottom. They'll do so as soon as the fry hatches, but not necessarily while they are taking care of the eggs. A 26-gallon is almost the same in length as it is in height, just not good for cories and rams, in my humble opinion.

Here's a pic of my breeding rams.

David

Alright.

Your rams are beautiful ! What size tank are they in? How often do they spawn? And do they make bubble nests?

That was in a 12-gallon tank! They are now in a 29-gallon. The key to spawning them is the temperature. If you take a look at my strip you'll see it says 82 degrees. They will spawn in much warmer water, too.

Rams are egg layers. They will find a surface and polish it off, and that's where they'll lay their eggs. Once the eggs hatch, they'll move them around to different areas of the tank. It's kind of cool to see how everything takes place!

They will spawn about every 5 weeks. The colors you see there are only while in spawning condition. When not spawning they're not that intensely colored, but not drab either.

David

Ohhhh. So my betta would make a bubble nest if I were to breed It?
Your betta, yes, most likely. There are some bettas that are mouthbrooders as well, but they are not normally found in big box retailers and thus not too common. There are even bettas that are both mouthbrooders and bubblenesters, depending on their current environment.

David

That was in a 12-gallon tank! They are now in a 29-gallon. The key to spawning them is the temperature. If you take a look at my strip you'll see it says 82 degrees. They will spawn in much warmer water, too.

Rams are egg layers. They will find a surface and polish it off, and that's where they'll lay their eggs. Once the eggs hatch, they'll move them around to different areas of the tank. It's kind of cool to see how everything takes place!

They will spawn about every 5 weeks. The colors you see there are only while in spawning condition. When not spawning they're not that intensely colored, but not drab either.

David

I have a planted 10 gallon I could put them in! Would that work since there's not enough room because of my Cory's in the other tank?

Your betta, yes, most likely. There are some bettas that are mouthbrooders as well, but they are not normally found in big box retailers and thus not too common. There are even bettas that are both mouthbrooders and bubblenesters, depending on their current environment.

David

That's pretty cool. Do you know how bettas spawn since they are so aggressive towards each other ?

What else is in the 10-gallon?

David

3 black skirts, 2 pregnant platys, a pregnant guppy, and a Cory. I'd move the black skirts and the cory to my 26 gal and maybe just keep the three prego ladies. Would that work? Or would I need to move all the fish to the 26 gal in order to house the rams in there.

would I need to move all the fish to the 26 gal in order to house the rams in there.
That sounds like a good option; but keep in mind, when the female is not ready to breed, she will be chased endlessly so you may have to move her to the 29 while you condition her to breed again.

David

That sounds like a good option; but keep in mind, when the female is not ready to breed, she will be chased endlessly so you may have to move her to the 29 while you condition her to breed again.

David

Alright, I can do that. Once my 3 preggers have fry ( hopefully soon ) ill move the fry to my nursery and purchase a pair of rams! :)

Are your rams German blue rams, electric blue rams, or Bolivian rams? Sorry about all the questions I'm a newbie at breeding and with rams. I definitely would like to get some with similar color combinations like yours.

Back
Top Bottom