Brasillian Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cdawson

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently moved a brazillian puffer from my 10g at home to my girlfriend's 30g amazon basin tank. However since moving him he really only tends to swim up and down the glass. It's an ideal setting for him with lots of plants and hiding places. He's in with 7 neon tetras, 6 guppies + 20-25 fry, 5 cories and a plecostomus. He eats fine and I'm just wondering if maybe the change from 1.012 to almost no salt could have shocked him a little. I did the necessary changes (replace a little water from the cup every couple minutes with freshwater). Could he not have enough hiding places or could the guppies and guppy fry be a factor. I'm out on a limb here, nobody at aquaria central was much help. This is one of my prize fish here and I don't want anything to happen to him.

The puffer is truly a brackish fish, is there any salt in the 30 gallon? Guppies can tolerate higher levels of salinity, mine are in 1.021 with some mollies. Try a little aquarium salt and see if this will help his stress. Good luck.

Brazilian puffers are mainly freshwater but can TOLERATE brackish water. Don't believe me look it up.

Anyways I added stress-zyme when I put him in and my girlfriend had already put salt into the tank.

This is true I know this , but he's got guppies in that salinity as well. Mollys tolerate marine but don't thrive in it.

Sorry if I was a smart alek on that last reply cdawson, didn't really mean anything. :oops:

You know, I have no idea regarding guppies, how much salt they will tolerate, but a friend of mine had a marine set up for years with mollies and he bred them rased them everything in full marine conditions, and they thrived. I seen it with my own two eyes! 8O

BTW, I have never kept either guppies or mollies so I have no personal experience here, just what I've related.

I don't think guppies can even tolerate salt, if they can it's very little. Such as the amount you'd normally use to treat a freshwater aqaurium.

I have 3 South American (Brazilian) puffers in FW (where they belong). I think what is happening is that they were suffering in the BW you had them in. They are now acting perfectly normal for that species of puffer, now that they are in their natural environment (FW). All SAs swim like that.

Guppies are a Primary fish and are easily converted to saltwater. I have 2 males and 7 females in a 20 gallon breeder with 4 sailfin mollies. The salinity is 1.021 solid. They were converted over a 7 day period. I began acclimatization in a salinity level of 1.012 and slowly salinated the water to the current level. If you do not believe it is possible, call my LFS and check with Dean at Slice of Nature in Vandalia, IL. He is who turned me on to the fact of saltwate guppies and mollies. PM me and I will give you his number. By the way many guppies in the wild are naturally brackish as are many primary fish. Check out the book "Aquarium fishes of the world" by Ivan Petrovicky page 286, which states that "Guppies are found in brackish as well as salt water on or near the islands of Martinique and St. Thomas." (Carribbean) Same book page 280 concerning mollies, Note made "If the salinity is gradually increased the fish are capable of living as well as breeding in seawater with a density of 1.024 to 1.028 which corresponds to the environment of the coral sea." I am neither ill informed nor stating falsehoods. I am an Aquarist and only want to promote the hobby. My mollies and guppies readily breed in this level of salinity, 1.021. I was incorrect that all puffers are brackish as the Carinotetraodon family are fresh only (Somphong's puffer) while most others are brackish (tetraodon family). Sorry for the mistake concerning the puffer.According to the same book, page 478, it states that "most species of puffer live in tropical and subtropical seas and only a very few dwell in fresh water." quotes used from the above mentioned book.

I always thought that high marine was way too acidic for species such as mollys and guppies. I guess guppies ARE the rat of the aquarium trade, albeit nice looking rats (some guppies I've seen, have to be seen to be believed). Oh, and thank you pufferpunk I was waiting for someone like you reply. Is it normal for my SA puffer to swim up and down the back of the tank or should I just add more plants? and what esle other than bloodworms will yours eat? I can't get mine to eat anything other than bloodworms, I've seen him chase the ghost shrimp but never really eat any.

SAs are much more nervous than any other puffer I've kept. I have lots of plants & decor, but they stull swim up/down & back/forth. I meant to mention to you that it is imperative that you get them to eat snails. They are known for getting long in the tooth for not bothering to stop moving to even see them. I have to place them in a breeder net with snails & then they eat them. I have had to trim their teeth once already. I lost one (I had 4) to long teeth. Also, mine eat freeze-dried plankton & krill.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom