Breeding tank system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M_DonFran

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright ladies and gentlemen, I didn't know where to put this since it falls into a few categories, but I need help in figuring out how to filter multiple tanks that I will hopefully start breeding in. The petsmart I work at is getting a new fish system so I snagged 6 of the old tanks (about 10 gallons each) they are drilled in the back. I'm going to put them all on a garage storage shelves from Home Depot.

My first question I guess is should I make a sump for them or will one large canister filter work on all of them. I would like them to be all on the same filter (Even though I know an outbreak can spread thoughout). I'm going to have 2 or 3 tanks to a shelf if I have the room.

I don't know what I want to breed yet either so if you want to suggest something for that it would be great too. I have multiple other tanks as well if I need them. Thanks in advance guys!

Attachments

• 1475864184218.jpg
    1475864184218.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 165
Sponge filters are best for fry and small grow out tanks...
Also some fish will really do best with different water parameters then others..
You want to breed fish ,not just keep them so you may need to make a little more effort then the average keeper does to be successful...
As for what to breed you need to see what your LFS[ not box stores] can move for you and go in that direction...
10g is ok for breeding many smaller fish but not most livebearers or medium to large cichlids will not do well in such tanks...
Thought about shrimp???They like sponge filters also .

Yes I might do shrimp in one of them (separate if need be). I was going to put sponges over the intakes in each tank. As far as fish I was just going to do something small like fancy guppies and try to get some really good colors out of them. I have bred angel fish before and plan to do so again in a 75 gallon soon. I also plan to do the same or similar fish in all the tanks so the parameters shouldn't be a problem.

The tanks are actually 15 gallons each (just measured them) so a little more room but not much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Got the stand built and put the tanks about where I want them. I was thinking about putting a 75 gallon on the bottom left side with its own filtration and making a DIY filter for the small tanks on the bottom right.

Attachments

• 1476209382105.jpg
    1476209382105.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 305
I would go with the sump system you mentioned. The outflows create an automatic level control that is relatively fail safe. You can vary the inflow to each tank as required from a single return pump thru a header and separate valves. In the sump you can have whatever filters you want.

I don't think a power filtration system would be as safe and reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A lot of the filtering type is going to depend on WHAT you are breeding. In some cases, a flow through tank is not a good way to have eggs fertilized whereas for livebearers, it doesn't matter. As CB stated, a sponge filter is the best filter for fry of any type as you won't need to worry about the fry getting sucked up into the filter. Flow rate will then come into play. Some fry might not be able to handle a faster rate while some others will need more circulation. A larger pump might not handle the flow restrictions and you will burn it out faster and constantly be replacing it. :facepalm:
So I would start with WHAT you are breeding and then decide how to filter for them. (y)

Got the stand built and put the tanks about where I want them. I was thinking about putting a 75 gallon on the bottom left side with its own filtration and making a DIY filter for the small tanks on the bottom right.
If I may suggest, the 2 tanks on the bottom do not have enough space between them and the rack for you to work in them. I'd scrap that middle shelf and just use the top and bottom shelves.
You can see a pic of my breeding rack here( http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-hatchery-and-everything-angels-324616-3.html ) post #22. The tanks have at least a 9" gap at the top for me to be able to work inside the tanks. I've found that 8"-9" is about all you really need in order to do most maintenance in a breeding tank, unless you are dealing with very large fish. Less than that and you run into problems with spawning sites, decor ( if used) as well as some filters. :facepalm:

Great info provided so far.

As a side note, if you cut out some of the blue center you would have a 30G if you find it necessary, for large or larger numbers of fish.

Thanks for the awesome info guys! For fish I was thinking of doing guppies and shrimp. Unless someone has any other suggestions. I'm not looking to make a bunch of money hopefully enough to have it pay for itself once I get going though.
As far as the two lower tanks are concerned, I am able to reach every part of the inside of both tanks with out any trouble but you're right with there not being a whole lot of room for anything else. So I'm still undecided on thoes.
I also have strainers that I will put sponges over so the fry don't get sucked up.
Cutting two tanks to make a 30 gallon would be cool but I'm concerned about how to go about cutting the acrylic. I will also be going with a diy sump that I will make out of a storage container unless I decide to take out the two lower tanks then I'll use another 75g or 40 gallon depending on if I can get a good enough deal on black Friday .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is it me or does it look like the stands are on the weak side for those tanks once filled with water?

The stand is rated to hold 800lbs per shelf. I was going to add supports to the center though just in case.

Just to update everyone, and to let you know I didn't disappear, I picked up the 75 gallon and some plumbing for the 15gallons.1477008113095.jpg
I also added some lights to the top row of tanks (had these fixtures around the house) 1477008170561.jpg

Lovin the comfy chair!

What about Blue German Rams - they are beautiful fish and you can earn some decent money perhaps dollars instead of cents per fish.

The only problem I see about Guppies is that they have to be pretty special looking to garner and $$. Most people have too many and can't even give them away.

There are a few amazing specimens with uniqueness and which people will really want to add to their tanks. All types found at all the box stores I would avoid.

Purple Moscow Guppies are pretty nice looking an still fairly uncommon to find around.

Check out some of the strains from angels plus and check out some of the really interesting ones on aqua bid - very beautiful and not common.

Consider though that unusual doesn't always mean big sellers.

Super Red Plecos, Long Fin Green Dragon Plecos (I know a great place for those).

Can't wait to see what you decide on.

Thanks! So the list so far in what i would like to do is: A cool strain of guppies (not sure what yet), shrimp, and marbled hatchetfish. Still taking suggestions, liking the idea of doing some Plecos.

My main concern right now is what size or GPH should my return pump be. So it's gotta go up 2 feet then split for the lower 2 tanks and go across about 44" which I'll have a ball valve on them. From the Split it will need to go up 2 more feet (4 feet total up from the pump) then across 8 with a T at every 2 feet.

I hope that makes sense, lol.

Back
Top Bottom