Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Brown Algae issue

I believe its called diatoms as well?

Either way I know it is sometimes apart of a newly setup tank, Tank has been running for 2 months or so and I have a good amount of it on my airline hose, underwater pump power cord, heater power cord, a very coarse rock, and a few of my plastic plants. Ive been rubbing it off with my hands and a tooth brush but it grows back within 2 days. Anything I should or shouldnt do to help this situation out?

I also have live plants as well, none of the algae is out competing my plants as they are doing great. My tank gets about 3-4 hours of natural morning sunlight.

Also that rock has a coating of green algae on it, but it looks nice so I dont touch that rock. I can take pictures if needed.

Thanks!

29 Gallon Tank: 2x German Blue Rams, 8x Zebra Danios, 8x Black Skirt Tetra, 5x Peppered Corys, 1x Apple Snail, 4 Zebra Nerite Snails
tottenham12712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Well, first, what are your nitrAte levels? What lighting are you using? You might want to invest in an alage scrubber, they are inexpensive and very helpful. This brown algae may also be cyanobacteria.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Yep.. Comes with the territory of a new tank... See the link below for help.
Brown Diatom Algae Control | Aquariums Life
Old 09-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ah sorry...

Ammo: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20-20ppm ish (Tomorrow is water change day so thats why its a bit high)

Here are a few photos I took: Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - tottenham12712's Album: My Fishtank

What exactly do you mean by an algae scrubber, are you talking about a glass scraper? or an external sump with high light to let the algae grow there?

29 Gallon Tank: 2x German Blue Rams, 8x Zebra Danios, 8x Black Skirt Tetra, 5x Peppered Corys, 1x Apple Snail, 4 Zebra Nerite Snails
Old 09-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have a green sponge-like thing that cleans the brown algae right off the glass. That's the kind of thing I was talking about......
Old 09-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

For diatoms you have a couple options. First Oto Cats and Nerite snails love diatoms. Nerite snails can't reproduce in freshwater so you don't have to worry about being over run with them.

Another option is to get some type of phosphate remover for your filter. Diatoms are caused ususally by excess silicates in your water. They will eventually go away on their own as the tank matures. If you use a phosphate remover it also removes silicates in the water. All are good options.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
For diatoms you have a couple options. First Oto Cats and Nerite snails love diatoms. Nerite snails can't reproduce in freshwater so you don't have to worry about being over run with them.

Another option is to get some type of phosphate remover for your filter. Diatoms are caused ususally by excess silicates in your water. They will eventually go away on their own as the tank matures. If you use a phosphate remover it also removes silicates in the water. All are good options.
I was actually looking into getting snails so I may do that tomorrow. I will look into a phosphate remover as well. Any particular brand you would recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud29 View Post
I have a green sponge-like thing that cleans the brown algae right off the glass. That's the kind of thing I was talking about......
In that case yes I do have one

Old 09-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottenham12712 View Post
I was actually looking into getting snails so I may do that tomorrow. I will look into a phosphate remover as well. Any particular brand you would recommend?
Seachem's Phosguard is pretty good.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yep, I was also going to say Phos-guard. It's delicate so don't be rough with the granules or they get all powdery. Also be sure to read if your suppose to rinse it, I can't remember but if you are suppose to just run water over it, don't smoosh the bag.

Tags
algae, brown, brown algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com