brown algea outbreat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomlintm

Aquarium Advice Activist
my tank has been cycling for 30 days now and i have a bad brown algea break out but the water is crystal clear and i got 3 different corys and recently just added a bristlenose pleco to help with the brown algea break out but he doesnt seem to even go near it so how do i take care of it

Diatoms are usually always present in new tanks. They use the excess silicates in the water and once the silicates are depleted they disappear on their own. I have found running my lights only 6 hours daily during this time to be helpful in keeping diatoms down. Nerite snails, that can't reproduce in freshwater, are great for eating diatoms. I kept some in all my tanks.

Diatoms are usually always present in new tanks. They use the excess silicates in the water and once the silicates are depleted they disappear on their own. I have found running my lights only 6 hours daily during this time to be helpful in keeping diatoms down. Nerite snails, that can't reproduce in freshwater, are great for eating diatoms. I kept some in all my tanks.

oh so it not really a algea then

i read clown plecos are driftwood eaters and are useless when it comes to algea

I wound up with diatoms on my white sand in my planted tank. After a couple days I couldn't stand looking at it any longer so I replaced the sand with substrate made for planted tanks. If it happens again I won't see it.

Actually Bristlenose pleco's do eat diatoms but any pleco including bristlenose plecos will choose eating food you put in the tank over algae if it's the right type of food. So if your feeding algae wafers or veggies it could easily be getting enough food that it's not interested in algae. Just something to think about.

Actually Bristlenose pleco's do eat diatoms but any pleco including bristlenose plecos will choose eating food you put in the tank over algae if it's the right type of food. So if your feeding algae wafers or veggies it could easily be getting enough food that it's not interested in algae. Just something to think about.

oh well i feed my corys shrimp pellets so thats probably why lol

Back
Top Bottom