Brown and white sludge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitbasher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have finally got my new 55 up and running and I think I am most of the way through my cycle. I started with substrate from my existing 20 gallon in nylon sock in the top of the aquaclear 110 instead of the carbon that came with it. That was 6 weeks ago, I now have 4 danios in it, flitting around. Just this week I got a bloom of brown stuff covering the substrate, some of the rocks and the glass. I am assuming that it is diatoms and will go away on its own. I could not stand how it looked so to day I took out the rocks that were covered in it and scrubbed them in hot water and put them back. I also scrubbed all the glass as well. Besides the brown stuff I have a yellowy white substance on all of the silicone. I can wipe it off with a scrub pad, but it comes back in a few days. Any suggestions?

So far I have been testing for ammonia and nitrites. Ammonia measures at zero, and the nitrites measure at less that .25, but not quite at zero. I have not tested yet for nitrates, will probably do that tonight.

It is all just diatoms. It will go away. Ottos will eat it but if you dont want them, then just be patient and I agree the stuff is ugly.

Yeah sometimes it takes a while to go away. Make sure you are doing frequent PWC's.

Back
Top Bottom