Brown/Orange Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emi1990

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone

I wonder if anyone can help, i have a 64 litre tank with the following fish:

1 Rubbernose Plec
1 Dwarf Gourami
5 Rummy Nose Tetra's
5 Cardinal Tetra's

The readings in my tank are all normal for ammonia nitrates and nitrites and i do a 25% water change weekly and clean ornaments and gravel twice a month. I feed my fish on a mixture of flake food bloodworms and the plec has algae wafers and cucumber.

Over the last two weeks brown algae has been growing on my ornaments and in certain areas of the gravel, upon checking my filter media there also seems to be some in there too. So i cleaned the filter gravel and ornaments and the tank looked fine again. The next few days i noticed the algae was growing again.

I recently added 4 cardinal tetra's so i am thinking this might have been the issue and that the filter can't handle the new increase in stock. But this should have settled down by now, i added the cardinals 4 weeks ago.

I have only changed my filter media once since purchasing the tank about 3 months ago but i clean the media every week in the old tank water as recommended on here because once i changed the media and the tank appeared to be cycling again.

I then thought maybe i am over feeding the fish so i reduced the flake food and the wafer food but there has been no improvement in about a week and a half.

Should i try to change the filter media one part at a time? My filter has a carbon part and a green spongey part, i was thinking of changing one part of the media then changing the other a few weeks later?

Any advice would be brill :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom