Can African Dwarf Frog withstand Flake food and Aqua Salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott1980

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've recently added a African Dwarf Frog to my community tank, he's been in there for a month and seems to be doing well. But the other fish always eat his (designed for frog food) that I drop in the tank, none of it ever makes it to the bottom. Everyonce in a while I'll see him nibbling on some regular flake food for fish. Will that hurt him? Is it ok for him to eat it? Also The tank has only been in operation for about 3 months. I've recently learned Aquarium salt is good to add. Will it hurt the frog? Thanks for any help.

Scott

i have 2 dwarf frogs and they have survived on flakes for awhile but i decided to drop live worms for them. worms are only $1 an oz usually and that lasts up to 4 weeks or so for me. my frogs have learned to trust me so i drop food right in front of them and they dont flinch an inch. OR you can always get those "fish drops" gum drops for fish. they sell it at PetCo in the freezer. theres a variety pack with frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and vegetables. my frogs love the bloodworms.

i also add salt regularly also and they have lived thus far. ive had them for a year or so. they even tried to make babies at one point. :p and dont be surprised to find some 'skin' they shed regularly.

I have several DAF in with rummy nose tetras. I feed them regularly with flake food and 3 times a week they get a good feed of frozen bloodworms. Although the rummys get some of the bloodworms, the frogs are seen stuffing them into their mouths quite greedily.

i wouldnt recomend the live worms myself. i have 2 african dwarf frogs and when i fed them the worms they loved it but the worms will find there way into your gravel and they wont usually come out till you go in and siphen them out. i feed my frogs brine shrimp. put a small frozen cube in there and let the fish pick at it for a min, within 30 sec the cube will start to sink to the bottom, usually still in one piece. that will bring a nice chunk of food to the bottom while leaving some in the water along the way for your fish. worms produce alot of waste too while there under the gravel.

great advice. Once last question, what ph level does everyone recommend for the African Dwarf Frog?

Scott

My Dwarf African Frog starved to death. I would try to drop sinking food into the tank, but I never saw him eating it. At first, I was feeding my fish way too much flake food. It would be EVERYWHERE in the tank. It made the tank very dirty, but the frog always has plenty to eat. When I discovered my feed habits were bad, I cut back on the flakes. The frog got skinny and I got worried :D

He would sit at the top of the tank for long periods of time. I would wait for him to do this, then I'd drop in the flakes. He would sit there and not eat! I couldn't figure it out. So, I bought these sinking pellets for bottom feeders, thinking the frog would eat on those when he got hungry. A month later, the frog died. He looked like that Lara Flynn Boyle stick-woman.

But, I really liked the frog. I have been thinking about it for about a month now. I remember someone mentioned that they use a half of a terra cotta pot for a cave for thier frogs.
Maybe I'll get three this time and put in this cave for them. Then, I could put the food directly into their cave. This way, I can rest easy, knowing my froggies have been well fed :morning:

One of my ADF died today. :( And the other one I cant find.

Do they hide under things? And wouldnt this cause them to drown?

Zic,

Where in the world did you get your I love coffee icon, that thing is ausome. What is a Terra Cotta Pot. Sounds like a good idea I think. Sixfootdaisy, ADF's can hide in anything from what I've found out the 3 weeks I've had mine. There's not much decortation in my tank and sometimes I can't find him. I remember when I bought him the lady at the store lifted up a lava rock in the tank, and several frogs were underneath it. I'd say they're good a burrowing in a hole.

Scott

the ph in my tank is about 6.4 now (kinda low) but it has been up to 7.8 and they are both doing fine. they seem to be pretty durrable but they seem happier when its lower (like around 7.0

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom