Can anyone ID this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was labelled "blue ram" in the store.. The colouring doesn't look like that of a blue ram.

It's definitely a German blue ram. They can go very dark like this when they are feeling stressed or unwell, although you do find a very few which always have this dark coloration. It may be that in the tank at the lfs she was one of the lower end of the hierarchy and so was getting picked on, or may just be a poorly fish. Now, she's just had a move to a new home which is another very stressful time, which could add to the dark stressy colour. She may well colour up in a few days once she settles in.

there are the german blue rams and then there are the blue rams. the german blues have a lot more color than that of a blue ram even if stressed. while blue rams dont really show that much intense blue and when stressed or not happy they hardly show blue at all

I want to say that looks like a bolivian ram. When its young or stressed, the black stripe through his eye on the face may not exist but I may be wrong. I researched when water parameters dont match what they are suitable for, they have less color. But I really want to say its a bolivian. Peaceful/semi-aggressive fish depending on tankmates.

Edit: Looking at the picture a second time, I might be wrong. Bolivian rams have "cuter"/"bigger" eyes so it might be a blue ram in bad shape.

I have seen German blue rams go this dark in the space of 5 minutes when they have been heavily stressed before, They have completely lost all colouration and had intensely dark black bands going vertically down their body just as in the picture with no sign of blue. When they have had a chanc to relax and calm down their true colours have returned, including the intense blue.

I'm 120% sure that is a German blue ram. She (looks like a female to me...) is very stressed and young (red and yellow hasn't developed yet). It'd let it settle in.

W

I found out with my fish when ever I did wafter change or move stuff around in tank most of my fish would go pale some almost see threw let it settle turn lights off for while and she how she goes

Back
Top Bottom