Can anyone recommend some moonlights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone,

I have 2 tanks (20 gallon and 10 gallon) and would like a more subtle way of transitioning between darkness and when the lights come on. I've watched my fish a couple times and there is a definite shock when the lights come on, especially right now in my 10 gallon QT tank where I have a new fish.

I'm looking for something relatively cheap that can be set on a timer, and it doesn't have to be specifically made for an aquarium. I was thinking of a small LED light that I could mount outside the tank near the back that would produce just enough light to get the fish awake and better adjusted to the daytime. Or something that would be on for a good bit of the night for viewing nighttime activities.

TIA

EDIT: Actually I just thought of something very inexpensive and practical, a nightlight with a 3w bulb....I'm still interested in other ideas or actual products, but right now the cost and easy use of the night light sounds like a winner! :)

Anyone have experience with these (and whether they would provide enough light for a 20 and 10 gallon tank):

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18366/si1381792/cl0/currentusalunarlightnocturnalblue

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU...ralifeaqualight1wattlunarbluemoonglowledlight

I've got the ones from thelebos.com. I really like them, but they were more expensive than some of the others. The ones I have come with a dimmer, so I can control the output level, I don't believe those you listed do.

Have you thought about DIY set? I think there's instructions in the DIY section.

Have not checked the DIY area. I'll admit I frequent the general, planted, and getting started forums almost exclusively.

Thanks for the post!

EDIT: Just checked the DIY area and the moonlight sticky is no longer working (the site to purchase the kit). Anyone have another backup site to order this? I would prefer it NOT be ebay. Thanks.

That's a good point. According to that DIY thread (I hadn't looked at it in a while) the kit was $15. If the ones from Fosters&smith are only 20, that would be an easier route to take.

OK, I have been meaning to share this for a while, but havnt done it yet!

you can go the your local sams or cosco (if your a member) or book store if your not, and find these book lights for like...$9 and they have 3 white LED's on them, I have one and I use it for both books and my tanks, its really nice! (and cheap) and if you get them at sams, you get like 2 in a pack! they are the same things, but made for diff meaning, the only issue would be if your tank is to thick for the little clamp it has!

Hi first time poster but this caught my eye.

Ive got a fishtank that Ill be putting DIY moonlights in. Im an electrical engineer major so this is right up my ally. Ill post a 100% step by step thread in the DIY section once I get it up and running. Ive actually got a lot of little fish tank things that Ill be doing but the moonlight set up will be by far the easiest. Ive got a digital LCD thermometer in the works that will read and display temperatures at 3 different places in the aquarium and set off a warning when temperatures change too drastically. Ill post all of my projects though incase we have any other engineers/aquarists. :wink:

PS. LOVE this forum. My name is Steve by the way

Welcome Steve!!! Just make sure your directions are "idiot proof" as I am a lady and only somewhat mechanically inclined! Lol!

Justin- I don't have any direct personal experience with the Current USA lights, but I have sold a few at the store I work at and they are really meant to be mounted inside of a canopy. Maybe you could make some kind of mount for them or something.

I would not recommend using the Coralife 1 Watt lunar light for a 20 gallon. I use 2 of these http://www.esuweb.com/cardfile.asp?ItemNumber=53400&IDProductRelationship=258 on a 55 gallon and they are REALLY bright! They are only 3/4 Watt, and spaced every 2 feet as per manufacturer's recommendations. I would expect that this look is similar to how it would be for your 20 gallon, except that your 20 is much shorter than my 55. I think if you used the 1 Watt light, your tank would look crazy bright, but then again, you may be going for that look so it's all a matter of opinion. If you happen to use Coralife's Aqualight (I do), these lights will clip into the Aqualight's track, or you can use the universal mounts- again, these are meant to mount inside a canopy though. HTH

Back
Top Bottom