Can Balloon Mollies and Lyretail Mollies mate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
can they?

Because I have a male in the family tank thats really being.. active towards a female, its not so much mating behavoir as it is just pushing gently against her sides. Its not aggressive in the least.

But I'm mainly worried about having Lyretail Balloon Fry in my tank 8O :lol:

Any kind of molly can breed with any other kind of mollies. There is a Lyretailed Balloon molly that is sold. Baloon mollies were produced from inbreeding and crossbreeding and are not found in the wild.(well maybe now but only cuz people let em go :) )

Oh boy, Thats going to be lovely.

Have a hundred Balloon Lyretails floating around :p

Thanks for giving me the [ unwanted ] news ;)

Make sure you buy chocolates William; some of us don't smoke cigars ;)

Allivymar said:
Make sure you buy chocolates William; some of us don't smoke cigars ;)

:p

If they do mate and have fry, What woudl be the best thing to do?

Sell them back to the pet store? Put a add in the classifieds for them? Try to give them away/sell them here [ even tho I don't have the slightest clue how to ship fish ]?

I just want to be prepared for the unexpected. 8O

Maybe the LFS will give you something for them, a bit of store credit perhaps, but don't expect much. Got friends with aquariums? Neighbors? Coworkers? Give em away or trade for something else.

I currently have about 30 White Cloud Mountain Minnows (various sizes) that I'm trying to figure out what to do with! Some are going into a tank at work, but I really don't know about the rest.

Trust me, this is a GOOD dilemma, way better than "My Fish all died".

If it doesnt bother you you could always find someone with big predatory fish. Thats what i fed my angelfish and my oscar. They loved the dern things!

Back
Top Bottom