Can duck tape kill fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am trying to attach this bottle baffle to my filter with duck tape and it is going to be under water, will this kill the fish???

I don't know if is take a chance with duct tape.

You can make a lip extension out of the plastic strip that is sold with the hinged glass tops (e.g. - Versa Top). Marineland and Aqueon makes them. Sometimes they are sold separately.
Anyhow, cut a strip the width of the filter output. Do note that the Aqueon plastic is thick and hard to cut. The part that attaches to the glass top will also fit on the lip of the filter. The plastic can be bent to direct the water along the surface. It won't slow it down but the flow running along the surface may prove to be less disruptive to plants and fish. Plus it runs quieter with less splashing. Here's a pic:
szcGBEg.jpg

Normal Duct tape isn't water proof and will come off rather quickly and leave behind a sticky mess. I'm not sure if it will hurt fish though.

Duct tape is made of three layers, cotton, Polyethylene, and some kind of rubber. All of these are supposed to be fish safe. There's also a lot of people using it on other forums. I wouldn't use the decorative stuff though (dies bleed and doesn't work). Also I would watch it and be ready to take it out and change water if there's any ill side-effects.

Duct tape is made of three layers, cotton, Polyethylene, and some kind of rubber. All of these are supposed to be fish safe. There's also a lot of people using it on other forums. I wouldn't use the decorative stuff though (dies bleed and doesn't work). Also I would watch it and be ready to take it out and change water if there's any ill side-effects.

Im useing the gray type, is that ok?

I used duct tape to make a divider to not be clear on Betta tank ... Only did for a week maybe it saw no ill effects

I'm pretty sure the die won't bleed, BUT I found mixed information on wether or not the sticky stuff (my science terms :) is toxic to fish, and I know for a fact the duct tape isn't water proof (doesn't work on a boat) I think you'd be good if you replaced it quickly every time it started peeling of.

I'm pretty sure the die won't bleed, BUT I found mixed information on wether or not the sticky stuff (my science terms :) is toxic to fish, and I know for a fact the duct tape isn't water proof (doesn't work on a boat) I think you'd be good if you replaced it quickly every time it started peeling of.

Is there any safe tape i can use? I dont wanna use silicone because i might wanna take it off

I'm reasearching electrical tape and tape like that right now but could you use zip ties or fishing line?

Have you heard of Teflon tape? Some of the saltwater forums have said it is safe. I'm not really sure what it is having no experience with it myself but if it works for saltwater tanks it should work for freshwater tanks

You can cut silicon out or off with a sharp knife or razor and it would look a lot cleaner and less visible

I just found Teflon's website (turns out its a brand) and they have tape for aquarium use. There website comes up when you type aquarium tape into google.

Back
Top Bottom