Can frozen foods carry disease/parasites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would be heavily inclined to presume that feeding frozen food is safe. Is there any chance of introducing parasites or disease into a tank with frozen foods?

I know if you use freeze dryed food it can carry disease. But I have not heard anything on frozen alone.

MOST of the companies that sell frozen foods make it a point to claim that they sterilize their foods before they are frozen. Personally I use frozen food (brine shrimp, bloodworms, etc.) a lot and have never seen any diseases that I could attribute to the food. I think you can be reasonably assured that they are safe.

I would guess that it is probably safe, but a higher risk of contamination than pellets, flakes or freeze dried foods, as those are more processed.

It is hard to say though, Brine shrimp 'eggs' can stay alive a long time in dried form and I don't think freezing will kill them either. I know that one of the guys down at the lfs feeds his cichlids only frozen foods, swears by it.

I've never heard of freeze dried foods carrying disease/parasites. Fresh food is the only one I've heard of that might contain unwanted parasites or other contaminants

The freeze dried stuff with parasites that was mentioned would be tubifex worms, which can purportedly carry tapeworms eggs, capillaria and toxins etc.

Not sure how much of the parasites/eggs that the freeze drying kills.

I just stay away from Tubifex worms because you never know where they were harvested/raised (sewers possibly)

As far as frozen I have never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom